3 Door roof rack options

A3-black

Reaction score
I have been bitten by the surf bug and need a way to get my board down the beach. Ive been looking at a few roof rack options for my A3 and found a few on eBay at the minute, genuine and Thule.

Does anybody have either if these fitted to their car that can post some pics and give opinions on whats the best one to go for?

Ive got a set of Thule wingbars, paid £160 for the bars, feet and foot pack about a year ago from this site Chameleon Direct | Car Trackers - Parking Sensors - Vehicle Tracking - Bluetooth Car Kits recommend them 100%. For an idea of what an A3 looks like with bars, check out my old A3 here

Dead easy to fit, really secure and dedicated fit to the A3/S3 3 door version, leaves no marks etc well worth the cash

644142_10152148243155711_1890640422_n.jpg

Thanks Dave I wasn't sure if the Thule ones would suit the car but they look good. Good to know they fit properly as well.

Perfect fit mate, the thule ones look the best, the wingbars can be a tad noisey and whistle if you dont keep the rubber covers in the T tracks but theyre certainly alot quiter than i expected.

Another good idea if your going to run roof bars is have the roof wrapped in PPF or something to give it that extra bit of protection!

Perfect fit mate, the thule ones look the best, the wingbars can be a tad noisey and whistle if you dont keep the rubber covers in the T tracks but theyre certainly alot quiter than i expected.

Another good idea if your going to run roof bars is have the roof wrapped in PPF or something to give it that extra bit of protection!

Dave, what are the legs of the rack like that grip under the rear window seal? That's the part that worries me. I just slide my surfboards in from the rear of the car but then I think I'd rather damage the paint than the leather!!

they are the bits that require the most concentration to get right, but once you get it right its secure and solid, if you use the little credit card shaped plastic card thats supplied with them to pull the seal back and slide the grippers in it works really well, then just evenly tighten each side up using the supplied allen keys :)

I will happily carry two Downhill bikes as seen in the photo weighing over 40KG all in and never had anything come loose or wobble etc, that was with some spirited driving in my A3 too through the welsh valleys, in my book it just works.

The best option of course for bikes is the towbar racks, but given with the A3/S3 having rear diffusers and not wanting to look like a caravaner with a towbar on all the time it starts to get mega expensive for the new bumper trims plus detachable bars and fitting and then a decent Thule rack to go with it, usually £300!

Ah thanks Dave, I've been wondering about racks for my ski's as I'm driving out to france in december with 3 friends and so I need to put my 3 sets of skis on the roof...