1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Beeps, but.....

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Sulli79, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Sulli79

Sulli79 Active Member

After an extended period off the road, my TQS went for an mot today.
    after jumpstarting i got 3 beeps for abs, but wasn't worried about that as it cleared almost immediately.

but on the journey to the test centre 3 beeps for oil, look at the dials and the revs are stumbling down and go to zero. so coast to the curb immediately and turn keys off, only then do i realise the engine was still running.

only 100 yards from the test centre so i figure what the hell and start up, drive in a low gear to get revs over 2500k, no beeps, pull into garage and the rev counter dies and i get 3 beeps,

has anyone had this before?

is my pump knackered and the rev counter just a coincidence?

or if the rev counter fail will the oil pressure alarm go off?

Cheers
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

sounds more like some sort of wiring issue or fault in the cluster?

maybe check for corrosion or dampness in the wiring connectors etc?
  3. JAMason

JAMason New Member

Iv had the oil light trigger on my 1.8t (The big red "STOP YOUR CAR" one!!) and my revs didnt drop. As above, sounds more like a funny cluster issue than anything else. Have you checked your oil level?! Mine was pretty low hen mine triggers and I put the light down to lack of oil in the sump. A quick top up from the emergency oil bottle in the boot sorted me out.

Jack
  4. 2.8 30v

2.8 30v Member

if the battery has gone flat and be sat for a while you may have to drive the car for a few miles (if poss ) with out stopping so the car will learn the basic settings which may have been lost due to flat battery
  5. Sulli79

Sulli79 Active Member

Yeah it's been stood a while, bit damp in the boot, so hopefully it will sort itself with regular use!