3.2 V6 vs 2.0 TFSI - economy and eating hills for breakfast

G

_G_

Sorry if this question has been asked before...

I came close to considering a diesel but I hate the sound and vibration. I've tried different diesels but never brought one... would a 3.2 (v6) hold up better than my A3, 8p2, 2.0 tfsi on mileage / economy??

I'm getting around 275 miles to the tank... I drive 55 miles a day (combination of 5 city miles and 50 motorway)... love the fact the 2.0tfsi eats hills for breakfast as it has the torque... my new job/placement is very hilly.. (no more company car either) lots of inclines and slopes here etc. This is my first week here so I am still assessing the situation... and was thinking if a A3, 3.2 would be any better on the whole? In terms of miles to the tank and getting up those blasted hills that give me a headache.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought the v6 would be worse on fuel in most situations compared to the 2.0tfsi.

Reactions: shariain
If the v6 is a 2006 or newer then you will be £460 a year in road tax.

I have a v6 and love it the power is always there and that noise. I only do about 25miles a day to and from work and some running about and I'm now on first name terms with most of the petrol station attendants.

As above, it's a lovely car to drive, and it'll eat the hills for breakfast. But I get around 18mpg around town, and mid to high 20's on a run would be a luxury. Maybe just a remap on your 2.0 tfsi would be a better option.

As above, it's a lovely car to drive, and it'll eat the hills for breakfast. But I get around 18mpg around town, and mid to high 20's on a run would be a luxury. Maybe just a remap on your 2.0 tfsi would be a better option.

Went down the remap route when the mileage was 55k, decided to remove it as it was causing more trouble than it was worth... oil burn was high. It has always varied from 1 litre per 1,000 miles and sometimes a freaky 3 litres in 1,500 miles. When driven hard, with the turbo on its knees doing 130+ on the track (because I would never do 130 on a motorway) it burned nearly all the oil... removing the remap cured the oil burn, well reduced it to 1/2 litre per 1,000 miles... may be a bigger turbo like a GT25 or something, new rings and then a proper remap could help...

No idea how much new rings would cost...

Cheers

I would put up with a bit of vibration and buy a TDI personally, the Torque a diesel provides are great for hills. If it HAS to be petrol, then the 2.0TFSI has the V6 licked for fuel economy, but V6 has bags of torque low down.

2.0T all the way. On cruise I can average 48mpg!
It's a win win, power/good consumption when you want it!

Tried a 2.0 TDI s line on the way home at the stealers... can't say I'm impressed with the stop start... it was okay... took it up an A road and gave it some beans... didn't sound all that when revving... back to the drawing board. Will consider a big turbo... following a Franken Turbo thread on another site...

Tried a 2.0 TDI s line on the way home at the stealers... can't say I'm impressed with the stop start... it was okay... took it up an A road and gave it some beans... didn't sound all that when revving... back to the drawing board. Will consider a big turbo... following a Franken Turbo thread on another site...

Have you tried the 3.0TDI? You won't be disappointed.Plenty of power and torque and I'm averaging 38mpg.