3.2 V6 turbo/supercharge conversion?

killa_z

Couped Out
Reaction score
i know its pricey but apart from an exaust system, performance filter and remap, theres almost not much if anything less to do to this engine performace-wise

does anyone know of any companies who offer this or at least sell the conversion kits to make this happen?

thanks

Well they do them to Golf R32's so shouldn't see why it should be a problem to do it to a A3 3.2...

But to answer your question mate, unfortunately I don't know of any companies =/

vagtech are an agent for hpamotorsport over here and jbsautodesigns are doing their own kit at the moment. it,s something i,ve always to have a 3.2 turbo,ed car but always ended up four pot turbo.

Although a turbo instalation might be expensive is certainly a vey good option for the 3.2 V6.

Personally I would not go for a turbo instalation on the V6. I would change piston, camshafts, ignition, etc, etc to keep a "pure" V6... Concerning power it would be perfectly possible to get an extra 50-60 bhp without turbo...

I happen to have a 2.0T and I'm happy with it... The thing is... concentrate on reinforcing the 3.2 with new con rods, etc, etc and then when power is aroun 280-290 you can always turbo it and yes it will be a hell of a engine...

The proble with all this is tah some parts might have to manufactured so you have to look for a reputable engine tuner, check race teams they usually run a garage along with the race team...

I'm only giving this option as you are willing to spend some money for a turbo conversion... you might be interested in this bit first...

Pedro

This guy with his "RS3" project is going over the top with his VR6. HPA, here in the States, and HGP, over on your side, do terrific FI systems. Expensive but lovely! HPA is also working on a naturally aspirated tuning program for the 3.2l. So there seem to be a few options around.

killa_z said:
i know its pricey but apart from an exaust system, performance filter and remap, theres almost not much if anything less to do to this engine performace-wise

does anyone know of any companies who offer this or at least sell the conversion kits to make this happen?

thanks

Going turbo on the 3.2 is a relatively expensive and demanding process.

A more sensible approach is to stay naturally-aspirated, and go with camshafts / exhaust (not even necessarily headers and cats) / intake / and a proper remap. Keeping the standard cats and headers will cut costs significantly, while the other mods will combine to yield approx 290 bhp.

Such a package has almost no drawbacks: no loss of torque, no apparent engine modifications, no huge increase in fuel consumption, no aded heat or weight, no danger to the transmission and driveline, etc etc.

Such a package does offer a huge grin-factor, the redline being higher, the torque curve fatter, and the exhaust sound harder.

Add headers and cats for a small gain up top.

Talk to Ed at www.autops.co.uk They will be able to set up a comprehensive package for you.

----------------------------

Then there's the dark side ;-) If you want 400+ hp it's there for the taking, all the way to 565 hp, but at a price. Beyond the cost of the turbo kit, you must also upgrade the chassis, brakes, and wheels/tires. You must also be willing and ready to increase maintenance costs with more frequent oil changes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Ben.

Who wants sensible.
I would go supercharger route,keep all the characteristics of the V6 but with more of it.
Supercharged 3.2 would be a very nice car.:hubbahubba:

Indeed, but the MkV engine bay makes that difficult:

Whereas on the MkIV R32 the SC unit was located on the front of the engine, in line with the accessory belt, the MkV requires the SC be fitted to the rear of the engine. A complex driveshaft has to be used to carry drive from the belt, right across the engine bay to where the SC unit resides.

Abt's version is extremely complicated, and offers very little room for proper intercooling (they use an air/water unit, "cooled" by bypassed engine coolant...).

If going forced induction on a MkV VR6, the turbo offers a more flexible solution. Not to mention LOTS more power.

There is always chargecoolers and aquamist for limited space applications.

seems as though there is no straight forward 'bolt on' turbo kit which doesnt require any internal upgrades i.e lower compression pistons

supercharger seems the way to go as far as keeping expenses down and power up after all 'natural engine modding/tuning'

another question, does anyone know if the 3.2 engine can handle a 75bhp or so shot of nitrous oxide, thinking of installing one of those kits provided the engine again does not need any serious upgrades to handle the extra temporary power burst ?????

I already answered the pm, but I'll bring up a couple more points here:

All HPA turbo kits retain factory pistons and rods - as OEM, the VR6 uses very stout items. Only the main rod bearings are changed, and to lower the compression ratio, a thick head gasket is used.

There are no superchargers for the 3.2L A3 (besides the SLS offering?). Abt does make one for the new 3.2LTT, but I would recommend against this due to price, low power output and inherent complexity.

IMHO, the 3.2L can definitely handle a properly managed 75 shot of nitrous oxide... Probelm is, no-one offers a solid fueling and timing solution to support such a solution. Ergo using NOS would be risky, at best!

Far better (again, imho), to do cams/cams-specific remap/cat-back/header than to mess with NOS.

And remember, a good suspension should always be the first mod to consider.

Cheers,
Ben.

reason i ask for a turbocharge/supercharge and even nitrous possibility is because i WILL be doing as much power enhancing i can the NA way i.e remap,exaust,filter,cams etc but wanted to know where i could go AFTER that in regards to more power as well as being cost efficient

im definatly lowering on coilovers too, any recommendations for this model?

and i have not gone into brakes as yet, will do though

another question, what have you guys done as far as handling is concerned, any upgrades in this department, i hear the quattro system being slammed all the time along with understeer problems????

killa_z said:
another question, what have you guys done as far as handling is concerned, any upgrades in this department, i hear the quattro system being slammed all the time along with understeer problems????

Criticism of the Haldex system is overstated imo - there's very little wrong with A3 quattro in standard setup, it's only when you start to push the limit does it show a litte weakness in the form of understeer, which is more pronounced on the 3.2 due to the heavier powerplant.
Fortunately, there's an easy cure - you can buy a Haldex controller upgrade which shifts power to the rear more aggressively (as the S3 does). Along with uprated suspension this should be all you need.

IMG 0485
IMG 0484

thanks[/QUO
This kit seems to have everything u need and for the 550bhp set up price is 4000 euros
IMG 0483

Attachments

• IMG_0484.PNG
    IMG_0484.PNG
    106.9 KB · Views: 470
reason i ask for a turbocharge/supercharge and even nitrous possibility is because i WILL be doing as much power enhancing i can the NA way i.e remap,exaust,filter,cams etc but wanted to know where i could go AFTER that in regards to more power as well as being cost efficient

im definatly lowering on coilovers too, any recommendations for this model?

and i have not gone into brakes as yet, will do though

The s3 brakes with the 345mm discs seem to be fine for stage 3 450bhp s3 so don't think brakes will be a problem

Dude this post was away back in 2007 going by the last post b4 your first 1 . But get in there

Although a turbo instalation might be expensive is certainly a vey good option for the 3.2 V6.

Personally I would not go for a turbo instalation on the V6. I would change piston, camshafts, ignition, etc, etc to keep a "pure" V6... Concerning power it would be perfectly possible to get an extra 50-60 bhp without turbo...
The thing is... concentrate on reinforcing the 3.2 with new con rods, etc, etc and then when power is aroun 280-290 you can always turbo it and yes it will be a hell of a engine...

Pedro

Wouldn't that be a complete waste of money as high power N/A means high compression, and turbochargers require low compression.

He would have spent all that money on pistons and cams etc that are useless for turbocharging.

Even on standard CR you can only run low boost.

Ian lookin at dropping a vr6 and boosting it into a 8l