3.2 V6 Insurance - 20 years old

sibby

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently have 2006 2.0TDI A3 and am insured as second driver, it is my mums car.

I've seen an A3 I like, it is £13k and a 3.2 V6 Quattro.

The biggest problem I keep facing is insurance, I have a clean license so far but no NCD.

I tried the mainstream insurers like gocompare, confused, moneysupermarket, etc and the best price I got was £3500!

Does anyone here own a 3.2 V6 and is young or an S3, 2.0T, 1.8T and has good insurance qoutes? If so, where from?

Ideally I would like it in my own name but I am not too fussed if it will save me loads if my mum is main driver. All it would mean is me not driving it as much as her.

So yeah, please help guys?

Hi there,

Just a thought but have you considered getting a quote from direct line with mum as the main driver and you as a named. Im sure i saw them state somewhere that named drivers gather no claims too with them. :icon_thumright:

Be very careful having your mother insure it and you as a named driver. The insurance companies have started clamping down on this in a big way. So if your mum has another car and you can be proved to be the person who mainly drives the car they may refuse to cover you in the event of an accident

Unfortunately your age is a barrier as you're classed as high risk in terms of knocking a high powered car around a tree and I'd be surprised if an insurance company gives you a quote without you having to take a mortgage out......

You may be able to knock the fee down by taking the advanced driving test but I don't think you'll see sufficient benefits to be honest. :icon_thumright:

L60N said:
Hi there,

Just a thought but have you considered getting a quote from direct line with mum as the main driver and you as a named. Im sure i saw them state somewhere that named drivers gather no claims too with them. :icon_thumright:

If someone else in your household uses Directline to insure they're car and you go with them too you will save 5%, plus you save even more if you do it online.

The mind boggles how a 20 year old can afford to buy, insure and run something like that though...

N8KOW said:
My bro was 19 last year with 2 NCB his insurance in his own name on his 330ci cab was £3k - Good luck matey :eyebrows:

Who was his insurer?

Thing is my mum actually drives the car more than me, I'd persuade her to drive it more because I know insurers don't like that behaviour.

I will try Direct Line and Adrian Flux, if the car is 12k and quotes get back at 3.5k then thats over 25% of the car value! So I will keep hunting.

Thanks guys.

I have a new S3, and I'm with direct line.
Im a second driver as I "don't" use the car that much, only weekends.

It costs me £1700 and I'm 21, next year should be around £1500.

David

Try firebond. I've always been very impressed with them and they are mucn more used to dealiing with higher performance cars than most other companies. they deal directly with the underwritter and will go and talk to them directly to try and get the lowest quote possible.

davidmann said:
I have a new S3, and I'm with direct line.
Im a second driver as I "don't" use the car that much, only weekends.

It costs me £1700 and I'm 21, next year should be around £1500.

David
That makes me more sure that it is entirely to do with engine size and ignoring many other factors ie. car value.

No luck with DirectLine and will probably be mid next week with Adrian Flux, I will try Firebond and let you know if I get any luck!

I was also thinking of trying my local insurers.

*edit*

firebond require minimum age 25 :(

It is not always due to engine size.

I have tried an R32 and its cheaper than my S3 to insure. Have tried a TT 2.T 200hp and they will not insure me.

But yes I do agree its partly to do with engine size and not performance which is very silly.

David

Adrian Flux probably won't be able to do anything for you. They couldn't get close on my S3. I am 23 with 2 years NCB and I will be paying about £1,000 at the end of the month.

Currently with Elephant at the moment with 0 NCB because I still have my NCB on the other car, put a more mature collegaue from work on as an additional driver to get the cost down, and paid £1,200.

3.2 V6 will be difficult to insure because obviously your age will hinder you, but the engine CC value will bounce the preimum up as well, that's what's nice about the S3 it's only a 2 litre at the end of the day :)

When I used Elephant insurance I think they played a laughing sound -.-

I will wait on Adrian Flux, all they can say is no really.

It's really aoying though the way they look at things. Why should a 3.2 be dearer than an S3?

Risk? No, The S is more desirable. I bet there are more S right offs aswell.

It baffles me sometimes insurance, mostly a pain in the ***.

Im 20 years old. Currently have a cooper s and am the main driver but my dad is also on the policy. Paying around £2200 with norwich union.
In the process of choosing an s3. Went to my local blackburn audi dealer and booked a few hours with an s3 demonstrator for this week. I have 3 years no claims now but hopefully when im 21 my insurance will go down a touch.
Never driven an s3 before. Very excited to see how it drives.
Also considering an r32 but i think the s3 will be the one for me.

Im 19 with 5 points (cd10) my and my s3 is insured with elephant for 2500 ive also got two years no claims though which helps and my mum is a named driver which brought it down loads! good luck with the 3.2 as i tried a quote and i found it dearer then the s3 and elephant wouldnt even quote me as im under 21!

19 yrs old here, got me a 2004 3.2 V6 insured fully comp with me as 2nd named driver and my sis as policy holder and main driver, 7yrs NCB with elephant and I'm just paying a little over a grand!

Dont ask me how, I call it a fluke / 'glitch in the system'

All I can say is goodluck mate, quality car!

Must be joking, I just did a quote with me being 1 year older having 1 year more experience and it asks for £600...lol insurance has now just become a mystery to me.

hell, some of those prices are scary!!

I remember them being wild when I was in me twenties but not tht much?!? It seems there is a benefit to reaching 30. Good luck finding a good price tho mate.

If you can, I'd highly recommend starting your own policy too. Perhaps but a sh1tter and insure that to get your no claims up?? Depends how the costs would work.

I have the A3 2.0TDI at 20 I paid £650 for insurance, with 3yrs NCB.

NCB HELPS! Build it up or pay the price.

My renewal is £500 now I'm 21.

An S3 is about £900 FC.

Bear in mind you may well get the 2.0T. Fuel consumption is alot better and its a better engine *awaits abuse*

I mean the performance between the 2 isn't that much!

I've thought about the 2.0T but theres no quattro on the older models or much selection available. Plus theres a slight drop in performance and the noise isn't as good.

At the moment it looks like wait 1 year and get it insured for 600£ or there abouts, or get it when I can and pay 3.5k insurance - logical choice? I think lol

alright ive done even more research and it appears that the minute i hit 21 it goes from 3.5k - 4.5k to 600-1500 being the most expensive insurers like confused.

not sure what to do, may get 6 months cover and cancel then renew.

its amazing the change in driving you see after your 21st birthday. I mean, I think my first 2 days after turning 21 I couldnt go near a car due to the crazy amount of booze drunk celebrating! Insurance.... what a fix ;)

Personally I would look at something a little less powerful more insurance friendly. Anything over 1k is ridiculous! I had to pay it when I 1st started driving at 17 but would not go back to paying those prices unless it was something exotic.

Also would try and get out of the being a named driver on your Mums policy. Its not doing your insurance any favours in the long run. Sooner you get on your own, the sooner you start getting your own NCB!

nooooooo it was the only good a3 V6 on there and it's beens old :(

im 20 with 12 points and 3 ncb, for a 2.0 tdi A3 was £1800 and for a TT 180bhp was £3000. i want the TT because of the dump valve and easier to tune, i found the hardest car to insure was 04 honda civic type R the quotes were about 4K +. Im going with kwik fit on the TT. For some reason insure companies dont like young people having V6 or V8 dont no why because the 1.8/2.0 turbos are normally more powerful.

I'm 20, no points or anything, first insurance policy with A3 2.0 FSI is £1,100 with Elephant. Think they would have laughed if I had asked for a 3.2!

i got insured on mine with Admiral for £660...I've got 4 years no claims and no accidents / clean license.
Let me know if that sale doesn't go through...I'm thinking of selling mine for about 13...it's on pistonheads!

been looking at that one and a black one.

Problem with both is they have been modded, insurers would give me a nightmare.

You need to sort your location out on that ad because I turned it away as it says the location is 3.2k miles away lol

You also forgot to add xenons as well, it will sell better that way.

I pay £800 for my S3, 22 and 4 years no claims and 6 Points.

I have paid up to 2500 on insurance on other cars in my younger days to.

I pay £1800 to insure my Lotus 340R as well. My exige cost me £2100 when I was 20. My Rs Focus was about the same but that was because I was 19.

I always go through Admiral or Elepahnt. Isurance is the total joke, but if you want to own nice cars there is no way around it!

Last year I was insuring a 2005 Leon Cupra R 225, and insurance was £707 (I'm over 30 with max no claims), this year I insured the S3 and quote came back at £358!

I've never understood the insurance company methods. Car is more expensive, newer, more desirable yet my insurance halves....WTF?!?!?

My first car at 19 yrs old (Golf Mk1 GTi 1.8 8v) was £1200 TPFT with Hyperformance. I thought that was robbery.

Its no wonder so many drivers are driving without insurance today.

Im 33 and just thinking off getting rid of my motor trader policy that costs me £1400 per year.
got a quote for 57 plate S3, 35k value, with the mrs on and she's 28

got it for £475.00 with swiftcover.com
and they are underwritten by Axa, and thats who my trader policy is with.
bargain eh ??????

Kontraband said:
whose your insurance with Warren?

Tesco's this year, Direct Line previously

hi mate, im also 20 but drive the 2.0tdi on my own policy i can get insurance for 650 through "elephant", to make your insurance cheaper try adding your mum,dad or gran or something. i found that when i add 2 older drivers it brings my premium down around 350 - 400quid thats adding them as 2nd drivers and me as the main driver.

also for magnus911 having your windows tinted does count as a modification yes, and the insurance companies could void your insurance if you do not declare them as they will argue you did not have clear vision from your vehicle, elephant only added something like 20quid to add window tints to my policy cheers mark