3.2 the story so far

wickyianr1

Reaction score
hi all you audi lovers bought me a3 last october had it a week it needed rear bearing,then i had a leak passenger footwell so took door card off and the plastic surround that you can take off to get to the electric window hadnt been put on properly so sorted that i would try that first if you think its a seal easy job,did a thread about a remap got good advice if money was no object fitting a turbo would be nice,the wife loved the car but was to fast for her so i got a 1.8tfsi sport,flame red very nice she was due for a new car anyway apart from all that still having chemo for you no what and the car well what can i say.oh and pics of are cars

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab122/wickyianr1/DSC02325.jpg
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab122/wickyianr1/DSC02408.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine in November (3.2Q Sport DSG) I adore this car... my 530d BMW was nice, this is better in every respect!

I am still learning how it performs in the corners, I can make it slide and howl, but BY GOSH it take some doing... it could handle more power! I know that seems a strange thing to say about a 250bhp car, but it could! I have been belting round corners with the pedal down and everything doing exactly as it should...very safe, but... I would like it to give me the odd "moment" like the BMW did without having to be doing warp factor ten! Top speed? LOTS... and it gets there SO quickly it's staggering.
It hasn't missed a beat, has averaged 27mpg... even with regular "enthusiastic" driving sessions, showing ALL my friends launch control must have decreased the figure substantially!
I have had individual averages as low as 16mpg and as high as 34mpg... one hooning like a teenager stole dads keys and one like my Granny got hold of them!

Would I buy another?

Yes... and another Audi may well be joining us in 2012... when do the order books open on the R4? Seriously, does anyone know yet?

Switch the ESP off, but on your own head.

I will have a play tomorrow... If I turned it off in the BMW it just threw itself all over the road like a demented jelly...NOT very confidence inspiring... it just didn't like being driven without it!

I wonder if the ESP has been the slight "woolyness" I have been surprised by on exiting bends sometimes?

Gulp!

I Have the 3.2 and without the ESP on it feels totally different instead of traction controll kicking in I get it sideways and if I dump the clutch can get a bit of a donut and a lot of smoke but on corners where as the esp makes it go round like a go cart the back slides a lot more but it`s a 100% more fun and to me duno ig it`s true but acceleration feels a bit better but I don`t know if that`s just me thinking it is

I've had my 3.2 dsg A3 since the same time as adamskib, absolutely love it, from the moment you start her up and the throaty purr of the V6, such a sucker for that noise. The drive is great glued to the road, and with the dsg in manual mode which it is almost all the time is so so much fun. Just fitted FBMFSW and RNSE and has just made the whole experience even better.

Looking forward to a proper European adventure at Easter, over to Amsterdam down to the Nurburg then off down to the Swiss Alps to the Stelvio pass then on to Monaco and then back up via France... Some proper driving!!! Whooo... Have a friend in a Mx5 (don't ask and he's not a hair dresser but for some reason loves his little mx5, each to their own!) and Lambo joining me on the venture should be good fun!!!

r8ruiv.jpg
hu1u2b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice wheel that huh :icon_thumright:

I had a brief spin with ESP off and it DOES seem more "lively" for sure... I also need to try it without my wife in the car. It seems that experimenting with the handling can be construed as "driving like a twit" and result in a severe slapping!
Ohhh it's fun!

I do think this car was a great purchase... I will keep it a year until my insurance drops a little and I can have my Cayman :)

Oh *****, someone's mentioned a Cayman, here we go again.......................................

Oh *****, someone's mentioned a Cayman, here we go again.......................................

Cayman or Cayenne are, well, umm, what/how should I put it........ I'll let someone else upset everyone....

I would just like to say on behalf of Paul Ar that the Cayman is a very nice car.....And S3's are very expensive.

lmfao brilliant, totally brilliant had me in stitches Pat, lol, kudos, lol

Just a quick question for all you 3.2 owners, what is your average MPG??

I only really do town driving (short journeys too), I know this the going to be the worst type of driving for MPG, I am currently getting about 210-220miles per tank.

Is this about right for the driving I am doing (quite a heavy right foot too :)) I am unsure as to whether the MAF may be on its way out.

Cheers!

Ryan

Damn I got more than that in my S4 4.2 V8, how heavy is that foot btw, lol, 55 litre tank & 220 miles, damn thats low

Just a quick question for all you 3.2 owners, what is your average MPG??

I only really do town driving (short journeys too), I know this the going to be the worst type of driving for MPG, I am currently getting about 210-220miles per tank.

Is this about right for the driving I am doing (quite a heavy right foot too :)) I am unsure as to whether the MAF may be on its way out.

Cheers!

Ryan

I generally do town / country roads driving - not a lot of motorways. I see about 270 miles per tank.

210-220 seems pretty bad!

Thanks for the comments guys (I must admit that I do like to have a heavy boot :)). Will try driving like a granny when I next fill up and see if there is a difference.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the MAF may be on its way out though, had a problem with cutting out etc...(previous thread) which cleared when the faults were removed but was a suspected MAF problem.

Is there any way other than changing the MAF over and running it or an emissions test to check whether the MAF is working properly??

Ryan

TBH mate if you're stumping up the £60+ a tank, then buying a new maf surely cant be to much of a problem, even if it doesnt make any real difference, it will certainly help the car overall anyway as they're such a sporadic problem that its cheaper than an audi fault analysis anyway, piece of **** to change aswell.

I'm not worrying about the cost of purchasing the MAF, I just dont see the need to spend the money if the MAF is infact in perfect working order.

It would be nice to know if it is working properly before I stump up the cash.

I would want to replace it with a genuine Audi unit, where is the best place to get one of these (or is it the stealers)?

You say that a new MAF would help the car overall anyway, if the MAF happens to be working properly then how would a new one benefit it in any way!?

Dealers, purely cause you dont know where the maf has been from others who proclaim to be new, as for new one benefitting, well maf's over time tend to not read air volume aswell, so new one (you'd think) would already be spot on, ideally someone with vagcom & a 3.2 would be best to compare readings with, I've replaced mafs on all my previous audis just cause it is the 1st thing to look at before going to a garage if running lean etc if nothing else is apparent, think I paid £70 for last one from audi on exchange basis.

I dont think 220 miles is a problem around town. I have a tanker follow me in trafic with a 5" hose coupled direct to the inlet manifold. I get 30mpg on a run but it usually says about 20-22 mpg ave when i get home after the commute..
Kangaroo'd home tonight running on however many cylinders it happens to want to use again...Fault code still says glow plug pre heaters....Not long now and my Audi experience will be over and i shall be free !! Free I tell you ha...hah hah hah ( manic laugh)

Pat, I've told you once, if not many times, stay of the acid, life will be alot better.............................................

Lol..Life is ****** excellent....dont think i could cope with" a lot better" as well :))

Thanks for your help guys, am looking into how much a replacement MAF is on exchange from Audi and will then decide wether I am going to replace it or not!

May try a full tank taking it easy with my right boot and see what figures I achieve first too.

Ryan

Sorry guys another quick question......if I was to disconnect the MAF would I be able to tell if its faulty or not from doing this?

Well you'd get errors on the car anyway & if its not detecting the correct air volume it may run even worse, only one way to find out mate, but just by looking at it you wont know unless the sensor is hanging of its fixing, lol

In short...No. It could work fine but be 10% out and it would be imposable to diagnose. Unfortunately its not something that breaks but loses its sensitivity as i understand it.

Guess whose back, back again, tell a friend

Driving along today thuinking about this MAF buisiness.......and i remember clem saying he got poor fuel consumption. Now if the maf was playing up i would think its probably because its dirty. salt air and gritting can leave a fine deposit of salt on the sensor for example, this will mean the MAF registers a lower than normal air mass and therefore the engine will weaken the mixture, SO !! i doubt the fuel consumption would go up if your MAF is at fault.!

Surely if the maf was registering a lower air mass due to it being dirty then the fuel consumption would indeed be less as the ecu would dump more fuel in to compensate surely?!?

I dont see why it would dump more fuel in ? its trying to keep the mixture correct so if it thinks there is less air mass it will meter out less fuel.

tcardio
Looks like a very expensive way of getting your car to go :)

Thats a fair point but surely if it can think there is less air mass, it can think there is more air mass!?

Clem
Think of it like holding you hand in front of a fan then doing the same with a glove on............thats like a layer of dirt/oil/salt on the MAF...Your hand becomes less sensitive to the draft.

Paddy,
I can understand the reasoning but as you stated previously it would mean that it is likey to 'UNDER' calculate the air mass and therefore use 'LESS' fuel.

I heard that MAF problems generally cause poor running and 'HIGH' fuel consumption or is this incorrect?

Just contacted my local Audi dealer and was quoted £107.39 excl. VAT for a replacement MAF, I have had a look on the Euro Car Parts website and they have a BOSCH Air Flow Meter for £77.73 with an additional surcharge of £29.38, are they reconditioned units from Euro Car Parts?

I'm pretty sure that Audi is exchange as well, they have just quoted you full whack.

I dont know about the MAF for sure, i just sort of tried to look at it logically......but that dosnt always work :confused:

Audi are exchange & they're maybe more expensive due to the engine as they do differ, mines a 2.0 tdi & was about 70 exchanged & I checked the differing engines have differing part no's, just bare this in mind when ordering from anyone but audi.