3.2 S line value in 12 months???

nicks3

Reaction score
What do you think will happen to the value of a specced 3.2 S line DSG (purchase price approx £29,000, list £32,000) in say 12 months if the S3 comes out? Will it be affected badly or not too bad?

Would be about 12,000 and I was thinkg £22,000 so not too far aprt there....ouch!! Expensive miles.

mm i paid about the 29K for mine as well,

If the new S3 is going to have a silly little engine, i will not be chaning the 3.2 for a while.

Mind you i only lost 2.5K on my WR1 int he 1st year of ownership /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eeef list for the car would be £32,000 so you can see it has a lot of options! Juyst not sure about this value retention thing. The S3 is approx 18 months away but the new R32 Golf may only be 7 months or so away....which is food for thought.

The problem with options is that you invariably loose the entire cost of them the second you drive out the door.

They might help your car sell quicker, but they won't neccessarily add to the price, especially after 12months.

I sold my 04 tdi s-line and I got more money for that than the same spec/age/milage cars with the 3.2 engine in them at that time, it is a funny combo, if they had given it the S badge it would hold up far better.
Bigger engined cars (read thirsty) tend to loose more money in the first 4 years but then they seem to hold there money better than the smaller (read more ecenomical) cars.

Only options that mean anything are, leather, wheels, upgraded stereo and sat-nav, I don't care what anyone says, the last 4 cars I have sold have had nav and it has added £1000-1500 to all of them and made them sell nice and quick too.

With 3.2 depreciation so sharp, your best bet is to look at a second hand 3.2. You should be able to find a recent one, specced to the eyeballs, for £20-22k without too much trouble.

[ QUOTE ]
There's a letter in Autocar about some bloke who wants to trade in his 1 yr old 3.2. They expect it to fetch 20k.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great news for those of us that fancy one in 12 months time then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

I love my car and its performance but would just love that V6 sound track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My R32 lost £3000 in one year from new, so not too bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I traded mine in with 6K on the clock. Glass' guide only says 19.4K trade so dont go by autocar or parkers; they arent accurate.
Mind you, It just sold for the ticket price od 22k and had two people fighting over it at the delaership...

Sensible spec is everything... forget nav +, heat, sensors for rain/parking etc. You wont get any of that back.

As for the car, I dont regret it at all, its the best of the A3 range in my view even including the Tfsi..

Hopefully mine wouldn't be too far off that...
Exactly the same, but not SLine. However, i have leather and a FC Armrest.

Did you trade it then, just a bit confused about the 2 people fighting over it at the dealership?

[ QUOTE ]
I traded it into the dealership, and subsequently, there were two people wanting it from the dealership

[/ QUOTE ]

so was the 22k, the selling or trade in price. Sorry to be pestering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Got me thinking again now! What about impact of R32 or new S3?

[ QUOTE ]
Got me thinking again now! What about impact of R32 or new S3?

[/ QUOTE ]

R32 and S3 will always hold up better, to be honest if the 3.2 S-Line had been called an S3 it would hold its money far better.
I know my mate got £19k for his 12 month old R32, loads advertised at higher price than that, but he had to drop to 19k to move it.

You are best to buy one 6 months old privately for £19-20k imho.

not necessarily; my mate sold his r32 for 18k and he paid more for it than my s line!.
Given the s3 is not the current model, it does hold up better in the market given the fact that you cant get them anymore, so i do partially agree there..
Its all relative really, you need to look at the overall deal of the price on your chosen car minus your trade in.
I always drive an extremely hard bargain on the price of the car I am buying and assume I will get the book price for the trade in.
Dealers will always use 'over allowance' to make it look like you are getting a good trade in but really, they have more profit in the new car they can use to balance it.

18ME posted on tyresmoke about an '04 3.2 S-Line for sale, here is the thread

LINK

Details of the car

6 Speeed Manual
8k miles
Ebony Black
18" RS6 Alloys
Half Leather
DVD Sat Nav + TV
Bose
Auto lights and mirrors

£20,500

Thats not trade in is it....
I am only commenting on the trade in/dealer bid that will be on the car. Private sale may always potentially net you more.

i couldn't shift my facelifted 325ci sport for love nor money anywhere near the book price. I must have phoned about 50 dealers. Got 1.5k under @ best, some came in at 6k under book.

Then after 2 months of nothing, the day the deal was done, hey presto, 5 calls from the classifieds in one day!

always the way