3.0tdi starting how long

lynallbel

Reaction score
Now im used to old land rover tdi diesels, flick the key and they start immediately regardless of the weather.
Now this A4 takes approx 1 to 1.5 secs on the key to fire, it does so cleanly and runs nice, suggesting to me its not a fuel problem, if in fact there is a problem at all?
Glow plug light only comes for a second or two at the most, which im assuming is correct as its not exactly cold.
So is the slight cranking normal or do i need some glow plugs?

Thanks
Lynall

Test all the glow pugs and battery with a multimeter.

I found 3 of my plugs dead, but the car was still starting last winter....but took a couple of secs longer to start. Now I have just replaced the battery as they was the original and starting was weak.......now it is instant.

Sounds about right, I had a dead glow plug, still takes about that long now to start.

Okay, thanks for all the replies, i will have a check of the glow plugs this weekend, its my good ladies new car so im doing everything i can before the weather turns crap, so i havent got to mess about in the depths of winter!
Unsure of battery age as we have only had the car for two weeks, the tell tale on the top says its good, i will test it out with the works battery tester later.
I havent looked for the glow plugs, are they easy to get to?

Lynall

Having read other peoples' comments - which differed from mine - I decided to time my start this morning (5.30am, 15C outside temp). Glow plug went out almost instantaneously, and the engine started in about half a second from turning the key.

1.5 second doesn't sound very long when you read it, but on further reflection, if mine was taking that long to fire up, I would probably have the concerns you have.

Check the battery voltage first thing in the morning before you start the car and it has rested overnight. My old battery was 12.2V to 12.1V which was about 50% to 60% charged..........my new one reads a strong 12.7V

Jdp thanks for that info, if it was that quick to start i wouldnt bat an eyelid.
Mike appreciate the info
Checked the battery at work with a proper midtronics tester, this machine usually condemns most batteries i test with it!
The one on the car is rated at 640 amps and the tested value was 700a, not seen one that far over before, voltage was 12.55, which iirc is approx 95% good, ive got a chart stuck to my toolbox at work and again iirc 12.6 is 100%.
Had a look at how hard the glow plugs are to get to, dont look impossible, back ones look pretty awkward, but how do you get the leads of the glow plugs?
I gave them a little tug, but being a ham fisted sod i thought i had better ask first before i wreak something expensive.
The more i use it the more im convincing myself its the plugs.
Proper shock getting back in my normal 20 year old defender 90, still starts as you flick the key, technology huh:(

Lynall

Change the battery and it'll be back to instant starting. I had the exact same problem and my battery checked out ok.
The problem is, when the battery finally goes properly, the car totally dies, leaving you stranded (as I found out).

Change the battery and it'll be back to instant starting. I had the exact same problem and my battery checked out ok.
The problem is, when the battery finally goes properly, the car totally dies, leaving you stranded (as I found out).

Same thing happened to me. I called my breakdown service but their truck couldn't get into the office underground car park, so we had to push it up the ramp to the outside world before he could fix it. Amazing what can be sorted with a new battery.

I know happened to me got stranded just eventually went and sudden....

Okay you have convinced me, will get one this weekend.
Halfords trade card to the rescue!

Lynall

Today finally got around to fitted the new glow plugs, bit tight and fiddly but no major stripping needed, some were ****** tight , i genuinely thought one was going to snap, i actually snapped my 1/4 drive extension, they had been fitted dry so possible original plugs.
As i had moved it this morning i wont know if its any better until tomorrow morning.
I tested all the removed plugs and 4 still glowed nice and cherry red, 2 were dead.

Its defo starts much better, still not as quick as my old tdi land rovers but they are leagues apart in technology.
Shes happy im happy so its good all around, just got to revel in all the extra sex im bound to get not!

Today finally got around to fitted the new glow plugs, bit tight and fiddly but no major stripping needed, some were ****** tight , i genuinely thought one was going to snap, i actually snapped my 1/4 drive extension, they had been fitted dry so possible original plugs.
As i had moved it this morning i wont know if its any better until tomorrow morning.
I tested all the removed plugs and 4 still glowed nice and cherry red, 2 were dead.
I don't know about the B7 but on the B8 the glow plugs are 3 or 4v and not 12V . If you put 12V on them they will be damaged. Also did you warm the engine up first ? . It's best to get the engine to 50 or 60 degrees first you have less chance of breaking the plug off. If it really won't come out I would leave it especially if it tests OK. Even if it was duff the engine will start fine with 5 plugs, it's cheaper and easier than having to remove the cylinder head to get a broken plug removed.

Karl.

They appear to be std 12 volt plugs i tested them all as i removed them and only two were dud the other 4 glowed like a goodun