3.0TDI S-Line 18” Tyre and Wheel options.

DrAlf

Reaction score
The tyres on my 3.0TDI S-Line are coming up for replacement. I’ve been searching the forums and understand that one of the best options is (IMO) to replace them with vredestein ultrac sessantas. However I’ve started to become annoyed with the harshness of the S-Line ride on 18” wheels with low(ish) profile tyres – in particular pot hole strewn back roads. I’m guessing that replacing the wheels with smaller 17” wheels and higher profile tyres will improve the ride. Questions then – I know the SE 3.0TDI came with 17” wheels – can I simply fit these or will it mess up the handling? – i.e. do I need to change anything else? In addition could I fit 17” wheels fitted with 225 section tyres rather than the standard 235 OEM tyres

Thoughts appreciated:)

Fitting narrower tyres will fit, but why would you want to? Get some OEM 17" A4 alloys and get a higher profile to help improve ride comfort, but I'd keep the tyre width the same.

As for improving the ride quality, new springs will probably make as much different as new tyres (if not more) so consider changing them as this will give better handling, improved comfort and a better stance. Standard shocks can be used with most aftermarket springs (30mm, 40mm, 45mm etc) and the s-line springs as standard have a reputation for giving pretty poor ride quality ('crashy' s the term used most often).

I upgraded to 19" and went from a 40 profile to a 35, also changed the springs to H&R -30mm at the same time and 80% of the time the ride quality has improved. There is the odd occasion where a bumpy side road would have felt more cushy on 40 profile tyres, but if I had the standard 18" alloys I'm sure it would be infinitely more comfortable than the standard s-line springs.

Also the Vreds are excellent tyres, can't recommend them highly enough!

Reactions: DrAlf
I have a 3.0TDi SE which came on 17" wheels at the outset. The standard tyres were 235/45/17s. I also, for a short time, ran it on a spare set of wheels, that happened to be fitted with 225/45/17s. So either will fit, and provided you use good quality tyres, there will be no problems with the handling.

However, I don't think changing the tyres will solve your problem. The harshness of the S-Line ride is not down to the tyres, it's down to the springs and shock absorbers. My recommendation would be to keep your 18" wheels and tyres, and replace the spring and shock absorbers. Speak to Damian at DPM Performance (he is a forum member) about a suitable kit for your car.

Reactions: DrAlf
Excellent - thanks for the info chaps. I'll get a set of Vreds on order and will start to look into spring options. Ta:)

Excellent - thanks for the info chaps. I'll get a set of Vreds on order and will start to look into spring options. Ta:)

I just fitted a set to Vreds to my car on saturday (235/40/18), the 30mile return journey was much improved... I still need to see what PSI the fitter installed them with and adjust if required.

Not sure if you have had a read of this post... Vredestein bargain

The 3.0TDi guys are running around 40-46PSI, not sure if that will help the ride quality much.

I think the 3.0tdi must have higher psi ratings due to the heavier kerb weight... will check when I get in later but I compromise and run 40 normally... (38min & 44max from memory?)

I found that changing to 245/40 R 18 gave a less harsh ride to my S-line on account of the additional 4mm ride height on top of a full complement of tread - so the best part of 10mm over all.

I found that changing to 245/40 R 18 gave a less harsh ride to my S-line on account of the additional 4mm ride height on top of a full complement of tread - so the best part of 10mm over all.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Will 235 tyres fit the standard 18" rims or do I need to change the wheels as well?

Would've thought they would fit, in the same way 225 will fit but give a slight stretch, but the outer walls of the tyre would be angled outwards slightly