1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0tdi Quattro purchased.... Vibration from the rear??

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Craig Cull, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Giosabcsl

Giosabcsl Active Member

[Nov 17, 2013]
    Woohoo thread revival ;)

Keen to see what the result is.
    Craig Cull likes this.
  2. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Due a service soon and was thinking of getting the transmission fluid and rear diff fluid replaced. Anybody happen to know what the intervals are?
  3. MattUK

MattUK Member

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Manual or Triptronic ? I was under the impression that the Quattro and transmission (on the auto) were sealed and not to touch it.. unlike say the Haldex on the TT's etc etc..

Though I seemed to have read conflicting advice.. when I last rang the stealer about a service and asked they said there was nothing to do - (which I am sure they would have if they could :) )
  4. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Getrag 466 6 Speed Manual. Same box they use in the A6, S4, RS4 and Skyline R34.
  5. MattUK

MattUK Member

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Aha.. then I shall await someone more informed to confirm from a manual point of view.
  6. Craig Cull

Craig Cull Well-Known Member

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Just an update.... The car is in for what is looking like a new rear differential with mr gearbox in sheffield. Ill let ya know the outcome.... :/
    jdp1962 likes this.
  7. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Assume they're covering the cost mate
  8. Craig Cull

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Aslong as it can be fixed under warranty they will cover it. If its not covered under warranty they have offered to pay half and cover the vat, so hopefully it will be covered. Its just a waiting game at the moment unfortunately.
  9. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Not to bad, better than nothing I suppose. Fingers crossed its covered then. Just as well it came from a garage.
  10. Craig Cull

[Dec 6, 2013]
    Yeah we cant grumble to be honest. My old man wanted some 19s as apose to pay for a diff so hes not happy. The car on whole is spot on. Just hoping if it does cost its a cheap fix. After owning mine for 3 years its clear there is no such thing lol!
  11. Craig Cull

[Dec 11, 2013]
    Well the car is ready for collection. Full rear differential rebuild has cured the problem. Price coming in at £1200 + vat. Its cost my dad £600 and the seller is covering the rest. Cant grumble really, although it is a job we would have rather avoided.

Finish on a positive, the car is fixed :)

Happy days!

Thanks for everyones advise and input. Much appreciated as always!
    jdp1962, rizzini7 and V6 Quatt like this.
  12. rizzini7

rizzini7 Active Member

[Dec 11, 2013]
    Glad it's sorted for him and he can enjoy it. He'll soon forget the cost. Spent about £3k on mine in the last few months fixing it and now finally getting over it :(. But glad I decided to keep it
    Craig Cull likes this.
  13. Craig Cull

[Dec 12, 2013]
    Ive found that you've always got to spend on a car, its wether you let it get you down enough to sell. Especially when the next car could be even worse. I dearnt even work out how much ive spent. But i love the car so its worth it. Ive got it till its ready to be pronounced... A track car lol!
    rizzini7 likes this.
  14. lynallbel

lynallbel Active Member

[Dec 12, 2013]
    Ive always said fix things as they go wrong rather than leave them until its a piece of **** that no one including you wants to drive.But being a mech the only bit i swear about is doing the actual work!
  15. rhinoman

rhinoman Member

[Dec 12, 2013]
    Our other car is an X5, bought it in June this year, 2006, FSH but 120k, only £8.5k and quite loaded.

Spent nearly £4k so far, gearbox breather changed as a precaution, 4 wheel aligned, autobox was reconned because of a very rough change (£2.5k), drove it to Spain in the summer and was not impressed with a slight vagueness in the steering straight ahead position, new front bushes, wishbones, steering rack, then rear upper wishbone were shot so they were replaced too, rear tyres, front and rear pads. I certainly hope thats it for a while....

My Audi's been grea....(no, wont say it).
  16. Craig Cull

[Dec 13, 2013]
    Think the moral of the story is cars are a money pit.... Yet we all still buy them because of our passion.
    Just be glad you dont own a subaru lol! Out of 2 years of ownership, it spent 2 months on the road and raped me for £8k. Never ever again!
  17. V6 Quatt

V6 Quatt Active Member

[Dec 13, 2013]
    Go forth now...and enjoy the quatrro power and grip:yes:

Craig Cull likes this.
  18. lynallbel

lynallbel Active Member

[Dec 13, 2013]
    I wonder if anyone has actually sat down and worked out how much they have lost on depreciation alone on their car owning life so far?Then add in servicing and repairs.Not forgetting tax, mot and insurance
  19. Craig Cull

[Dec 13, 2013]
    Id hate to even calculate.. I think my life would end as soon as the result was in front of me lol! Death by the brutal truth
  20. rhinoman

rhinoman Member

[Dec 13, 2013]
    My accountant once told me, you either buy new and pay monthly, change it when the warranty expires, OR buy cheaper, either lower or no regular payments and irregular constant repair bills. Either way car bills never go away because they always wear out and need repairing.

The option to choose depends on why we have it. My van is usually new because I cannot afford it to be off the road for extended periods, if it is I get a courtesy vehicle. The car is not so relied upon (we are lucky enough for the wife to have one too) so if one car is off the road its not the end of the world. We couldn't afford new versions of the two cars we have although lease payments on the X5 would have worked out cheaper than repairing it so far, although I'm hoping that the tables turn the other way soon.

All in all as someone above said, cars cost money.
  21. lynallbel

lynallbel Active Member

[Dec 14, 2013]
    Going back nearly 20 years mine and the wifes cars we have lost 47k!Im not going to add up all the parts and repairs but that will probably be just as amazing.Parts are the main bits as im a mech and refuse to pay anyone to do any of my repairs
  22. Molnboman

Molnboman Well-Known Member

[Dec 14, 2013]
    Two things in life that are sure to break a man's heart.....one is a woman...the other's is his Car.....and that is fact!