3.0tdi misfire WHITE SMOKE ????

David280585

Reaction score
so ive had the 3.0tdi 233 a4 cab a few weeks now, porblems are drives and pulls fine,when you come into tickover it starts to misfire as if down on a cylinder,give it slight more revs and it goes, its a very intermittent issueturn the key off and restart and its ok straight away but you can hear i very very faint miss genenrally on tickover,took it to john sleaths rolling road and he strapped it on and brought it up in the revs and it was kicking white smoke with strong smell of diesel and it picked up on the revs itself on the rolling road for a second or two,there is no lights on the dash at allim thinking injector sticking but how would i find out

As above, any software upgrades available as well?

unsure what you mean software upgrades,Karl thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for the link

My mercedes has issues similar to yours, took it to the dealership, the updated the Ecu and that solved the problem. I've no experience with the vag com stuff and not sure if that is something similar to what mercedes done for me

may give them a call,its a very intermittent issue and the car has only done 74k

Hi, My 3.0TDI Cab has exactly the same issue, (similar mileage 77k) I bought it like it unfortunately lots of white smoke though it does clear as soon as the engine is under load, and it is intermittent, and as you are finding a horrible dieselly smell before and after the white smoke. I know a Audi mechanic, I had diagnosed it myself as injectors, but he doubted my diagnosis and wanted to put it on the diagnostic machine in his workshop, as he thought it may of needed a software update. When he brought it back he stated that the software was up to date and he had measured the values of the injectors on the diagnostics and he said everything was ok, but suspected EGR Valve/EGR Cooler issues. I was still not convinced having already cleaned my EGR and all the inlet trac out of carbon, I took it to a recommended BOSCH Diesel service centre, they plugged it into a diag machine and again confirmed all was well with the injectors, as this white smoke issue is very intermittent and it wasn't smoking at the time I still wasn't convinced I revved the engine a couple of times and thankfully it started to smoke, the guys colleague noticed and came over and straight away said that it had faulty injectors, on closer inspection there were three values from the injectors that were reading differently to these others but as they were from opposing cylinders wasn't seen as an issue, it was only this other guys previous experience of the ASB engine that told him the injectors. This actually confirmed what I found when plugged it into VCDS after finding an exert from an Audi tech. report on a forum. So it turns out I have 3 dodgy injectors, they recommend all six to be cleaned and tested at £20 each, this £20 is refunded on each injector they have to replace, and £240 each for a new injector. I have tried running good branded fuel and loads of injector cleaner through it and even a Terraclean hoping if the injectors were simply dirty then it might sort it but with no joy. If you want the contents of the Tech report I will post it up. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs etc but it seems I have forum/browser issue as I did put them in.

Was speaking to a guy on another forum who designs fuel injection equipment and he tells me they use kerosene for advanced wear tests and its also quite good as a cleaner, a fact confirmed form other posters who reckon kerosene is a large part of injector cleaner.How many injectors did you have to replace?