1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0TDi Fuel pump belt

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C6 Chassis)' started by B5NUT, Mar 20, 2014.

1. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 20, 2014]
    Anyone know if the belt that runs the fuel pump needs changing, I've read conflicting information on some of the forums, so just wondering if anyone else has had their belt changed. The belt in question is shown below, it's at the front of the engine.

belt.jpg
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. desertstorm

desertstorm Well-Known Member

[Mar 21, 2014]
    I would have thought there would a replacement interval on the belt, obviously not as important as something like a cam belt as the engine will just stop if the belt gives up. I wouldn't have thought the loading on the belt would be as high as if it was running a cam and all the valves.
    Very easy to visually inspect the belt by removing the cover, you could then start and stop the engine a few times to check it all. If the teeth on the belt have cracks at the root or the belt looks frayed anywhere then I would replace it.

Karl.
    gupsterg likes this.
  4. NotNormal

NotNormal Member

[Mar 21, 2014]
    Their isn't a changing interval scheduled for this belt - recently had a complete fuel system (everything bar the tank) and this wasn't changed
    When I asked about the necessity of the change not one tech in the workshop had ever had to change one

After looking through the Audi tech assistant computer it was determined that the belt doesn't have a changing interval
    gupsterg likes this.
  5. desertstorm

desertstorm Well-Known Member

[Mar 21, 2014]
    It's the same as the main serpentine belt that drives all the ancillaries there is no defined life for that you just go on the condition of it.
    The tooth belt drive on the fuel pump is so understressed I doubt it puts any serious amount of strain on the belt.

Karl.
    gupsterg likes this.
  6. Gavin0478

Gavin0478 Active Member

[Mar 21, 2014]
    There is a routine for it to be changed its either 5/6 years and about 60/70k miles.
    It should say in the handbook and the dealer did mine as it came within the time frame of a service.
  7. B5NUT

[Mar 21, 2014]
    Just checked the service schedule no mention of the belt change at any mileage... As a last resort I'll contact the dealer.
  8. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

[Apr 18, 2014]
    No scheduled interval/time mate, I had mine done when had timing chains/tensioners renewed as easy access and not costly.

From what I read if it fails no damage occurs other than engine stop due to no fuel pumping.
    B5NUT likes this.
  9. NotNormal

NotNormal Member

[Apr 18, 2014]
    Correct gupsterg, no damage, the engine simply cuts out - replace the belt, off you go again
    gupsterg likes this.
  10. B5NUT

[Apr 18, 2014]
    Well I'm going to add it to the list of things to do this year. It does look in good condition and there is no signs of cracking.