3.0 v6 Idle issue . Throwing codes p0101 p0102 . Any help appreciated

J.quattro

Reaction score
Hi all

Im having trouble with my a4 . The esp light is coming on and going off intermittently sometimes every 30mins some times every 5mins .
I have scanned for codes and it either comes up with either p0101 pending or p0102 pending but never both . Ive trawled the web looking for a solution ive tried cleaning the maf with no joy and then replaced them maf with a new one with no joy checked for vacuum leaks and cant see anything .

If i unplug the maf the car runs fine better than ever in fact . But if i erase the codes to switch the esp light off the engine will missfire at idle but run fine while driving .

I am hoping its my N/S cat converter causing this as it has been rattling for a while and now it sounds that bad the thing may aswell as be dragging along the road . Can anyone tell me if this would cause this problem and codes to show? As i would have thought i would also get error codes relating to the cat converter aswell.

Anyway im rambling now ! If anyone can help out its greatly appreciated .:laugh:

[h=2]Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Implausible Signal[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Loss of Power
  • Erratic Idle
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) faulty
  • Air Leak(s) after Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
  • Intake Air Filter dirty/faulty
  • Ground Spots corroded or Paint Residue
  • Wiring and/or Connections from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Intake Air Filter
  • Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
  • Check Ground Spots
  • Check Wiring and/or Connections from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-diesel-cars G70 had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [meas.blocks-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm)
  • It is not uncommon for a TDI to set Implausible Signal Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) faults when the engine performance is reduced due to a mechanical problem. These mechanical problems may include, but are not limited to:

Cheers for that Paul . I'll try check the wiring to the maf . Sorry for sounding dumb but what am I looking for on the wiring because it's insulated and wrapped up and it disappears some where behind the engine.

Its wrapped up in plastic with other wires and goes into a loom which goes down behind the engine .

Quick update .
Tonight driving for 15 mins my ESP light stayed on for 10 mins then as soon as I parked up stopping completely it came back on . So I scanned for codes and got p0174 & p0171 pending codes after this I left car to idle for 5mins and the light kept going on an off randomly ! . So the O2 sensors are saying the engines running lean on both banks . Could a dodgy maf wire / connection cause this or is It more likely to be a PCV problem?

Yea it does run better exempt for it shifting in to D very harshly . But it can't be the maf it's self I replaced it last week for a brand new one .

It's from my local parts store . I can't see how it can be the maf it's got a new one on and I've cleaned and tried another one from a working car.

Well I though I was getting a Bosch one as on the car parts store site it said it was a Bosch maf . I actually received a pierburg maf ( made in Germany) are these any good ? Also the standar maf in my car was made by hitachi I can't find a Bosch one anywhere!