1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0 TDI S Line Quattro Sportback

Discussion in 'A5/S5/RS5 Forum' started by Swanny356, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

Hi everyone,

Looking at changing the A3 2.0TFSI Quattro for the A5 3.0 TDI Quattro S Tronic.

I've heard the butterfly valves can be problematic but wanted to ask a bit of advice if possible?

1) Any other issues to look out for (hoping to get @ 11 plate)

2) Any essential upgrades I should look for (I have RNSE in the A3 and do like it)

Not that fussed about wheels as I'll probably change anyway.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

Hi, the 3.0 TDi is a pretty robust engine and fairly reliable if treated well. As you say the butterfly valves can be a weak link but I don't think is a major issue.

When I owned mine it was pretty solid, the water pump failed within 6 months but this was a known issue and limited to quite a narrow period I believe. Other than that the DPF is the only thing to watch out for (not usually a problem unless it's been used to tool about town). In the time I owned mine it never missed a beat and didn't use any significant amount of oil - I never had to top it up between changes.

Options to go for, well the tech pack advanced is usually a good buy, black edition is also a good base spec. Obviously it depends on what you want but many will insist that Nav is a requirement but again up to you - but I like it, and it's fine not to have it if the price takes it into account.

Hope that helps a bit.

warren_S5 likes this.
  4. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

Cheers, not in a hurry to change and wondered if anyone thought things like reversing camera or 5 seat version were a must. Is it me or is blue as rare as hens teeth in the A5. I wanted it in the A3 but was sort of forced into mine when some polo driver killed my TT one night.

What general Mpg do you tend to get from the 3.0 Quattro?

Ps don't think the DPF will be an issue as I'll take that out ASAP.

Thanks again

5. NICK-C

NICK-C Nick

I had the face lift A5 SB 3.0tdi quattro and did just under 24k miles (from new) in 13 months with no issues what so ever. That is until it got flood damaged and written off 😢 I averaged just over 38mpg with mainly motorway and a road driving so not too bad. I think the pre face lift would be a little less though. Mine was an s line but as shrek says black edition is great. For me sat nav was a must. Had the reversing camera which was ok but not essential, haven't specced it on my new car. Also I loved the alcantara and would have liked the car in blue (they do seem to be pretty rare) but ended up going for daytona grey. Shame as just ordered a new car (not A5 though) and Audi are charging 2 grand for alcantara (so couldn't justify the extra payments) and they have just discontinued estoril blue so a bit annoyed!
    As I had the SB I think it came with 5 seats as standard but never used the middle seat, partly because with 2 child seats in the back there is no room for anyone else but i guess without them you could squeeze 3 in the back.
    Other options I would consider are auto folding mirrors and if you aren't the only driver memory seats.

6. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

Thanks. I'll keep looking. Folding mirrors will help with the garage.

7. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

Thanks all. Just done it and bought an A5. Went for the Audi approved with HDD. Already planning the mods and don't pick it up until next week. I'll start a new thread.

Compared to the A3 site this is really quiet, more refined me thinks!

Shrek5 likes this.
  8. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

Good news, have you picked it up yet?

9. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

Pick it up on Saturday! I'll post some pictures once I've detailed it.

warren_S5 likes this.
  10. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Good man, look forward to them.

11. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

I hate laptops! Just managed to get the photo's uploaded.

Standard so far with only upgrade being Warren S5's fault, that thread is starting to cost me!

R8 oil cap, RS5 pedals, transmission mount and boot liner.

Bring on the snow
    image.jpg

First wax
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Think I need the rear windows tinting and the window surrounds dechroming?
    Any thoughts?
    image.jpg

12. MJB1

MJB1 Drive it like you stole it

Very nice. What did you use to wax it?

Also thinking of window tints. Just need to find a company near Birmingham that will do a good job. Read to many posts of people having great and rubbish experience. Makes taking the step a bit harder.

Window edges best to have them wrapped. read a few posts this is the best long term solution and can be removed if required. Not sure of cost but due to size of window frame it can't be cheap.

13. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

Used Meguiars ultimate but not convinced yet. I did have to clay the bonnet as don't know what Audi used but the paint had gone misty.

Re the windows and chrome - looking for someone to do them in Staffs and agree that wrapping seems the best option. I'll let you know.

14. Statler

Statler Old enough to know better

Welcome. I think the window tinting would look good with black.
    Just make sure they can do it well and cover the shaded/mottled areas around the outside edge of the window. I've seen a few of late that don't cover that bit well and you get a very noticable band around the edge.

Nice looking car tho, health to enjoy.

15. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

The guy who I was told to use has stopped doing cars and now only does buildings (think he should remember who paid his wages first! LOL)

If someone can recommend a tinter and/or wrapper near Staffs that would be great.

On another note I have just got Audi finance to refund my interest (17% APR robbing gits) as I was advised that in order to keep the 2 years free service I had to keep the finance! Untrue.

Amazing what knowledge of Financial Conduct Authority legislation does to the trouser colour of a finance company!

At least I got money off the purchase.

16. Swanny356

Swanny356 Member
    Audi A5 Audi A1

Finally got to borrow my mates triple square sockets so fitted the transmission mount. I was sceptical at what it would do but it was worth every penny. Much smoother changes already and only done a couple of miles. Took about 10 mins to change and five of them was converting NM to Lb's to torque up.

Had to see if it would go in the garage first. Double garage and doors the size of a Wendy house!

image.jpg

It fits !!! Phew

image.jpg

Easy access to the mount.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Old vs new - no comparison really

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

And then just admire the engineering.

image.jpg

Now got to book it in for an oil change next week, I'll get the loose under tray and exhaust rattle done at the same time.