3.0 TDi MPG?

Mollygoogle

Reaction score
I have an '06 3.0 TDI 225ps. It has been remapped prior to my ownership and I cannot vouch for the quality of the mapper. The car is lovely to drive, bags of power however the MPG is a disappointment. If I drive like a complete tool 28mpg and if I drive like a saint 29mpg. It would appear that I have the startings of the dreaded injector issue but even so this seems low compared to posts I have read online.

Is this right? Should I be looking at the map? Or are the injectors the issue?

For urban 30mpg is about right. Here is mine for last few weeks doing 5-10 miles to work and back in traffic
db06561fc10b655b0e19542334fa0f8d.jpg

2006 Audi A6 3.0TDI quattro sline le mans | Daytona Grey Pearl

If you are doing short journeys around town then you can't expect great mpg but what you are getting does seem on the low side.
Is the car a manual or auto. If you are seeing white smoke especially when the car has been idling for a while then you have the injector issue and this certainly won't help the economy. The white smoke comes from the faulty injectors not shutting off completely . After the injection event the injector should stop injecting, faulty injectors weep fuel which results in unburnt diesel finding it's way into the exhaust and creating the white smoke.

I'm around 35 average at the moment, best I've ever seen on a long run was just over 40, but miss daisy was behind the wheel!

I replaced the injectors just after I got the car it then it was around the 26/28mpg.

Is there is a way to check injectors via VCDS ?

VCDS can give you an indication, but it's not 100% as there could be a mechanical fault which is not being picked up. Best way to confirm is the following do you have smoke coming out the back when the engine is hot and the car is at idle. If the answers is yes then the injectors are on there way out.

White smoke, if it's blue you have another problem.
As shown in this video

Reactions: MarkWizard
Are you guys going by the trip or your own calculations ?

My trip is showing 30mpg but when i calculate miles between fill ups it comes to 20mpg
16472a4ba5d233f4e0c594c9492e3113.jpg

That mpg figure you are looking at is trip 1 , That is the trip mpg for the current trip and not the cumulative which is trip 2 and is more likely to represent the actual long term consumption of the car.
I always fill mine up and keep an excel spreadsheet of the fuel economy on the car so I can see what the effects of mods/ weather/ driving do to the mpg. Over the last 25K miles it's averaged just under 32mpg. The worst I had for a single tank was 25.6 mpg but that included a Curbrough sprint event and a few hundred miles caravan towing with a lot of time being stuck in traffic on the motorway.
The Best just under 40mpg which was running around last year in August.
I find my long term trip 2 is about 1mpg high so it's reasonably accurate.
75% of my driving is a 9 mile trip to work and back or sub 3 mile local trips.My car is a manual with no DPF or Cat though. Currently running 380bhp with the hybrid on it hasn't seemed to make much if any difference to the mpg.

I done a trip to the south of france 3weeks ago and i done 1200 miles and used around 140 euros of fuel and the computer said i was getting around 35 to 40 mpg its been mapped as well

That mpg figure you are looking at is trip 1 , That is the trip mpg for the current trip and not the cumulative which is trip 2 and is more likely to represent the actual long term consumption of the car.
I always fill mine up and keep an excel spreadsheet of the fuel economy on the car so I can see what the effects of mods/ weather/ driving do to the mpg. Over the last 25K miles it's averaged just under 32mpg. The worst I had for a single tank was 25.6 mpg but that included a Curbrough sprint event and a few hundred miles caravan towing with a lot of time being stuck in traffic on the motorway.
The Best just under 40mpg which was running around last year in August.
I find my long term trip 2 is about 1mpg high so it's reasonably accurate.
75% of my driving is a 9 mile trip to work and back or sub 3 mile local trips.My car is a manual with no DPF or Cat though. Currently running 380bhp with the hybrid on it hasn't seemed to make much if any difference to the mpg.
380 bhp ! Wow is that with serious mods?

I done a trip to the south of france 3weeks ago and i done 1200 miles and used around 140 euros of fuel and the computer said i was getting around 35 to 40 mpg its been mapped as well
Thats good numbers. I also did 1000k miles a few weeks back and my a6 3l was pretty constant at late 20*s to mod 30*s at 90-120mph through france to poland and she consumed exactly 2 tanks of diesel and a little more.