1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd to 3rd gearchange in S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Adam, May 6, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam Member

anyone else find themselves scuffing the cogs on this change - I have done it a few times recently (particularly when pushing on) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

am I being lazy and not depressing clutch enough or is the biting point for this change higher tha the others (I am sure my left foot depresses the same on all changes) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

or is the gearbox going? might try some of that Mobil 1 gearbox oil
  2. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Done it a few times. But I more often tend to balls-up 1st to 2nd when setting of from a T-junction quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've put it down simple human error, rather than the car.

AL
  3. amoffat

amoffat Member

me too, especially 1st to 2nd when hitting over 6.5k rpm. I think it is down to bad timing depressing clutch / changing gear.

Did it in the S2000 recently too. Even managed to go from 9k rpm 3rd gear into 2nd gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, managed to depress the clutch in time before the engine went pop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
  4. Adam

Adam Member

wouldn't a rev limiter prevent that though?
  5. amoffat

amoffat Member

I would have thought that it would have been more difficult to change into 2nd from 3rd, but a rev limiter can stop you from acclerating over the rev limit e.g. 9000 rpm, but if you change down it can happen, try it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. This is the first and hopefully only time that I have ever done this, and it was rather scary, especially in a car that was less than 1 month old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
  6. SteveS3

SteveS3 New Member

True /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  7. Tonymac

Tonymac New Member

Guys,

My S3's in for a 50K service today, and after reading about your gearbox woe's I took the opportunity of having the gearbox oil changed from OE to Castrol Syntrax.

I'll pick it up tonite and let you know if it's made a difference to the shift quality and notchyness.

Tony Mac.
  8. SAM

SAM New Member

I have had this problem, and i asked the Dealer at the fist service (yesterday). They told me that this is normal and is the way the gear-box is designed..

Needless to say, I'll be keeping a close eye on it.