2nd to 3rd gear change grind/crunch

Carl,

As you never had the car from new - how can the Audi dealer prove that it was you who abused the gear box? Previous owners may have done it & at 8000 its unlikely that gearbox oil has been replace at all.

Personally I think this dealer stinks. Selling you a 2nd car with a problem and expecting you to stump up ££££ later.

Al

Fingers crossed that it's sorted now.

How long did it take <dealer> to do the work?
Also, do you have any idea how much it would have cost to do what they've done if you'd had to pay for it?

Cheers

Peanut,

The dealer wants to remain nameless on this one, hence why I modified your post.

My dealer actually didn't do the work, they just arranged it. Again, they've asked me to keep that info confidential. Basically because they don't want to be flooded with gearbox related calls.

But to answer your questions. The guy who did the work new what parts were probably needed, so those were ordered in advance. The work took about 3 or 4 days.

I've no idea how much it would have cost, but I'll find out.

AL

Cheers Al.

And now for a related question.....

I still have the same problem, and am assuming that I'm gonna have to spend a lot to get the gearbox sorted (no warranty). Unfortunately I can't really justify spending that sort of cash on my car currently if I don't absolutely need to get it done immediately.

For now I'm driving in a way that avoids the 'crunch zone' (leaving my quicker driving for 3rd and above).

Assuming I continued like this for a few thousand miles, does anybody have any thoughts as to whether I'm causing any further damage by not getting it cured?

Cheers.

Hi Guys

GOOD NEWS ALERT

I had to get lawyers involed but i happy to report after 2 letters from lawyers the garage have phoned me to report that its getting done at no charge to me. All i can say is that it a f@#king big weight off my shoulders. Its not been done yet, its booked in a week monday, so fingers crossed all will go ok.

Just like to say thanks to all you guys for your help. I sent this thread to my lawyers and i think it was the turning point, so i ow you all a pint, or 10. :)

Thanks

Carl

does this happen to the 210bhp or 225bhp or both?

To anybody out there worrying about the potential costs involved in getting the 2nd - 3rd crunch sorted outside warranty (like I have been) - try getting the gearbox oil chnaged for the fully synthetic £11/litre VAG stuff (I think).

I had this done for £40 + VAT a couple of weeks ago, and after some thorough testing it seems to have solved the issue. It may not work in every case but it did in mine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif