2k 2.5 TDI avant Quattro

Avant1

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Just picked this up with suspected fuel pump failure , the pump has been taken out of a donor car that had shredded its belts so the it was assumed the pump was still ok , now getting a (j399) fault with a 01318 and seems to point to the pump , question is do they need to be coded to the ecu etc ? Really keen to get this going albeit will get two battery's on charge because it may take a bit to clear the air etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to get back to this , the replacement pump is on the car and cranking doesn't seem to bring any fuel up the lines ,are the in tank lift pumps supposed to supply the main unit or is it a vacuum based unit ?

I suspect I need to code the doner pump and for that reason I've got my hands on the complete doner car . Though I now suspect I'll only be able to extract the code with it in the original car ? The reason I'm asking about the the in tank pumps is because I want to be sure it isn't a failure of one of them that's inadvertently stopped the fuel supply and now points to the main unit ?

Also because this is all previous work carried out before I got the car I'm not even sure if the key is registered with the clocks etc

i believe the engine sucks the fuel up. theres no pump in the tank AFAIK.

The pump is coded to the immobiliser i think? You'll probably need to code it in with VCDS

I've done one of these before. I'm sure the codes from the current car only were needed. If there was anything on the pump I may have pulled them direct from the chip. Where abouts are you?

What year and model is the Audi ? Early AFB/AKN does not require coding, later 2000 on do !

There is no coding necessary so if the pump is fitted and timed properly, it should start !