215s on vw helios

fordfitzsimmons

Reaction score
Hi I have recently bought a set of helios. 19". 8.5. Tyres are streched I know some off you guys are running 215s. I took my wheels to a garage to get the tyres off for the wheels for go and get painted and the guy says my tyres shouldn't be on the wheel and it was illegal and could get pulled over and towed. Is this the case? And is I pillbox to get points for it?

Cheers in advance

As far as I'm aware it's bot illegal, a friend of mine got stopped with 215s on a 9" bentley and the copper mentioned the stretch but when he checked it was legal, plus I've just had mot and I had 215 stretched on a 9" rim and it never got mentioned

Check out the falken site .It states that 215's are to go on a maximum size rim of 8.5

so im breaking the law you wont be

Its completely fine mate.

I wouldnt even be concerned about it,just get them fitted and enjoy

The ply resin I am conceded is I have 11 points and can't get any more just want to see if I could get them for this

The only reason Concerned is because I have 11 points on my licence and can't get any more so I want to know could I get points for stretching my tyre

Well if this is the case then my 4 wheels could get me an instant ban haha

I heard the same too.

I was told that as the tyre is being stretched, it's not considered safe due to the loads allowed on the vehicle being changed ?....something like that anyway....something to do with the car not being designed to cope with a tyre of that width on bigger wheels ? :think:

Well i drove from Coventry to Margate last weekend on my 215' on 9j's and it took me 2 hours 30 minutes .I have been followed several times
not once have i been stopped and tbh i think that the guy whos on E38 drew atention to himself with ilegal plates...so just dont take the **** lads?

215s on 8.5 wheels will be fine. MOT guys can be a bit funny about people running loads on poke with stretched tyres tho

Cops should have better things to be worrying about!

sweeet! nah i beleive i just i havent really looked at them properly yet, put them in storage til i get a chance to put them on the car :p

AFAIK it's not illegal. As long as the wheel/tyre is not protuding past the wheel arch then it's fine. Running a big stretch looks good but its not good for handling/steering/grip and puts a lot of tension on the sidewall.