210bhp & 229 lbft 1.8 TQS and one very bored owner

hooley

Reaction score
Ok, so I've had the A3 1.8 TQS for a few years now and it is following in the footsteps of some pretty quick cats (and bikes).

My problem is it now feels very slow
I know the 4wd system robs massive amounts in transmission losses, but can't held thinking I would be better served by trading up to a Golf Mk V GTI and gettying it chipped to around 250 with very little in the way of transmission losses.

Alternatives are a newer 8P A3 2.0t S-line, or possibly even the 170 diesel A3

My car is on 120k and worth peanuts, would rather trade up to a multi function steering wheel and more toys. What about an S4 Avant 4.2?

Any suggestions?

Jas

can't help thinking I would be better served by trading up to a Golf Mk V GTI and getting it chipped to around 250 with very little in the way of transmission losses.

Also
My car is on 120k and worth peanuts, want to trade up

Jas

Any new car suggestions?

plenty of nice modded S3's doing the rounds at the mo for silly money..or my dream car for that sort of money would be a mint & slightly modded S2..... i really miss my old coupe.... it was just such a head turner... and that 5 cyl engine growl can't be beat..... i'll own another b4 i die

You want a much faster car that an a3 with 210bhp then I would leave the 1.8 20v family.

See if you can get into the 2.0T motors like you say. Golf GTI is going to be alot more fun than the A3 2.0T.

Although I honestly dont ever want to go away from awd now, even for a rwd car.

Just can't help but thinking that I would gain a lot more of the feeling of power and acceleration if I didn't have the quattro system robbing so much in transmission losses.

The modern FWD cars can handle a lot more in the last few years and 210 bhp in a golf must feel a lot faster than the 210 I have now.

OK curveball, how about a BMW 330D?
Chipped to 260bhp and 440 lbft?
Anyone? With only RWD not too much in the way of transmission losses, so must feel bl**dy quick.

I do love my VW/Audi's and have a spangly Q7 sitting on the drive for the family bus, so I'm getting rid of the old 55-plate 2.5 TDI Touareg (worth about £11k)and my A3 TQS (worth about £1500) and combining the value in to a newer car.

Budget around £8-12K, depending on how low I can go for what I want.......but I just don't know what I want.

OK so here are a few requirements:

I love the security of 4WD, but feel it robs so much of the power.
I love the interior of the newer Audis, but could compromise and get a fully loaded Golf - MFSW, Sat-Nav and bluetooth is a must.
Would like to try a RWD saloon/estate as I used to drive a Caterham and loved every minute of this and a BMW would just about surfice.
I need the car to be something the wife would want to take if she didn't want to take the Q7, so small(er), fast and luxurious is required.
I need to be able to travel 15-18k miles a year in it so comfortable, but as these miles are often cross-country need something rapid and handles well.
Also need to be able to get a car seat in it for the occasionaly trip with my 3 year old, so easy-ish access to the rear is a winner, as she falls asleep in the car all the time and getting her out of a 3-door would be tricky
MPG not important as the company pays for my fuel.
Love the push of a turbo.

OK, so I have a rough short-list:

S4 Avant 4.2
BMW 330 D Estate, chipped obviously.
A3 3.2 DSG, S-line with all mod-cons
A3 2.0t with/without Quattro, S-line
Golf GTI +/- DSG but chipped
Golf GTI Edition 30 -a bit dear though.

I'm not a 0-60 off the lights hero, nor do I go much above 90, but want something that I can throw about in the corners and will pull away from most cars up to 80.

I love the sleeper look, so something that looks anodyne, but goes like stink.
I'm interested more in 30-70 than 0-60 or top speed.

Any suggestions?
Jas

big range there of cars. id say for what you want the edition 30 sounds like your best bet. theres a guy called johnny who has done some very tasty things to his.

if your staying in the vag range i think you'll regret the move to the golf.... theres hardly any difference at all in handling old or new models.... the 2.0T have a small turbo on and will most likely be the same power you have now unless you go 8P S3 (may get a write off;)

the 330 BM is a nice car, i looked before i bought this, downside is crap boring interior (worse than the Audi) and only a very few of the top models actually perform....the 3.0 litre engines arent all producing the same and there are several variants.... either way i think id go for M3 on that budget...or at least consider

I'm getting an EVO VII and pulling all the exterior gaff off it. If you can put up with the look etc, they are just awesome. Instantly convinced me when I drove one.

If you like VAG, then you'll always be compromised unless you build something from a standard car, but the quality feel is always nice.

That lack of quality feel is what puts me off the Jap rally cars. No doubting their ability though, just a poor image.

10-12k would get a decent M3. I sold mine for less than 10k and it was immaculate. Its high miles was the only downside (106k). Awesome cars but i love the Quattro traction right now!

Wife has vetoed any concept of an M3.
She said they are getting to be quite chavvy, especially as there are a few near me with bling bling wheels and a very loud exhaust. Also the interiors are a little low rent.

Also I could get a newer shape 330d (E90?), rather than the E46 M3.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Would love an S3, but again would be a 3 door, so small child would suffer.

I think i know the answers but looking to find a reason not to move away from VAG.
Would love an 4.2 V8 S4 avant though........compared to an M3???