2018 MOT Test

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!

So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months and remember spare a thought for your MOT tester before you say...

"Well it passed like that last year!"

Reactions: 45bvtc, suzannec, Thundercliffe81 and 3 others
What happened to them making it 4 years before a MOT is needed?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Probably there will be a huge demand for second hand, salvaged and new dpf’s shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: richinsoton

TX.

Haven’t heard about that for ages. I think it got canned when only a few months after the proposal, the govt released figures that >20% cars failed their first MOT.

I guess ditto when they were thinking of going to MOTs every 2 years.

TX.

My old 1972 MG will no longer need an MOT. Ridiculous in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Terminator x
I've just read an item in this week's Auto Express that says "Plans to extend the period before a car requires it's first MOT from three to four years have been scrapped by the Government, following safety concerns."

Ridiculous plans from Tory Government stopping the requirement for any form of test for cars over 40 years old. Why? Does Rees-Mogg have a fleet of unroadworthy Rolls Royces. Surely if Road Safety is so important the Government should not be allowing potentially unroadworthy cars to be on the road. As mentioned above I have a 45 year old classic car and have every intention of having some sort of thorough check up every couple of years.

Reactions: Fatbloke, kanecullen89, Thundercliffe81 and 1 other person
Ridiculous plans from Tory Government stopping the requirement for any form of test for cars over 40 years old. Why? Does Rees-Mogg have a fleet of unroadworthy Rolls Royces. Surely if Road Safety is so important the Government should not be allowing potentially unroadworthy cars to be on the road. As mentioned above I have a 45 year old classic car and have every intention of having some sort of thorough check up every couple of years.

I agree. I have a classic that is nearly 50 years old. Just because it is exempt from road tax does mean it should be exempt from an MOT. Frankly it is death trap anyway (compared to a modern car) let alone if poorly maintained and riddled with faults.

Reactions: kanecullen89, batch, RGBARGEE and 1 other person
All sensible changes IMO (other than stopping older cars needing MOTs... that doesn't make much sense)

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I've just read an item in this week's Auto Express that says "Plans to extend the period before a car requires it's first MOT from three to four years have been scrapped by the Government, following safety concerns."
Strong and stable Tory Government demonstrating how weak and wobbly and duplicitous they really are!

Reactions: Fatbloke, kanecullen89 and cemerson
Typical Tory Government duplicity! What about safety concerns relating to no 40+ MOTs, no MOT for caravans etc etc! Strong and stable my ****!

Reactions: Fatbloke and kanecullen89
Why does every thread you post on turn into some sort of political rant ???

Pre-1960 cars are already exempted (as allowed under Article 4(2) of the EU Directive 2009/40/EC.) :highly amused:
This recent change is just an extension and owners can still opt for a voluntary MOT.
I blame the unelected, bureaucratic EU for this muddle - didn't have this problem before 1973 :haha:

Dpf delete oh ****
But the egr doesn't make sense why it's a fail

All sounds good to me (except the older cars thing and the weird removal of the tyre fitting requirement of course).

Pre-1960 cars are already exempted (as allowed under Article 4(2) of the EU Directive 2009/40/EC.) :highly amused:
This recent change is just an extension and owners can still opt for a voluntary MOT.
I blame the unelected, bureaucratic EU for this muddle - didn't have this problem before 1973 :haha:
n

n

Attachments

• IMG_8934.JPG
    IMG_8934.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 285
My god! "major shake up of the MOT test"... seriously?! wtf! I read that 1st post and nearly laughed! in the EU the test is every 2 years (mostly through the EU but some are different granted), the test is so much more thorough and stringent that it makes the UK's MOT look like a Kuick Fit inspection. Ridiculous. Anyone who reads those "new" super dooper rules for 2018 and thinks they are tough then they need to take a good look in the mirror!

The EU test is great and only once every 2 years. My neighbours in France have no problems with it and 'Yannick le mechanic' says it is fair. Allowing 40+ year old cars and caravans on the road with no test is frankly bonkers!!

Reactions: Ormesome
The EU test is great and only once every 2 years. My neighbours in France have no problems with it and 'Yannick le mechanic' says it is fair. Allowing 40+ year old cars and caravans on the road with no test is frankly bonkers!!

Totally agree. I only know about certain countries in the EU, mostly Southern ones, but their tests are very very strict. All of the items that were quoted in the 1st post of this thread have been part of the EU MOT for years and really are common sense.

Re: the 40yr MOT, I think its because the owners of these cars are seen to appreciate and love their cars so much that they are normally in good condition. However, I have owned old VW Campers so bad that I know the type of people that will try to get away with it so it really is a bit of a safety hazard. Must be said that if an old car (40+) causes an accident then im sure they will still thrown the book at the owner as maintenance was kept up? MOT is only a certificate of compliance at 1 point in time so even if you have an MOT and your brakes failed due to you not carrying out maintenance then you are still to blame.

Agree, I have a 60 year old Jag and I know that I run the risk of being pulled over and have a police roadworthy check. Which is why it still gets an MOT and it is always clean and tidy.

The real pity is the dramatic reduction in the number of Traffic cars on the road. A camera can't check anything but speed so keep within the limits and only a random APNR will check your paperwork and if that is OK then only a much more random police car will catch someone for other misdemeanours.

My daughter lives on Ibiza and says that there is one testing station on the island and they are so overloaded that you get your test 4 months after expiry and as long as you keep your MOT booking form in the car the police are OK.

Reactions: Ormesome
My daughter lives on Ibiza and says that there is one testing station on the island and they are so overloaded that you get your test 4 months after expiry and as long as you keep your MOT booking form in the car the police are OK.

Haha! reminds me of what its like in France. If you get a fail in the MOT then you get 2 months to rectify it. you can still drive around as normal until the 2 month limit is up and then you get retested! Even though I still stand by my comment that the test is better & more stringent, I think some aspects need to be "tweaked"!!

Reactions: RGBARGEE
Politics is at the centre of all our lives and anyone who suggests it isn't needs to wake up I think. The MOT changes are being introduced as a result of legislation approved by politicians.

Yawn..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz