2015/16 MMI Nav plus streaming (Spotify) query ...

Terrorfex

Reaction score
Hello Ladies & Gents,

I've just upgraded from a 2010 A4 to a 2015 (65-Plate) A6 Black Edition. I think I've gotten to grips with the more complex MMI Plus (e.g. setting up the Audi Connect/My Audi) but I've got a pretty basic question that I don't think I can answer myself being so inexperienced with the new car ...

For good or worse, I rely on Spotify (via my trusty Samsung Galaxy S4). In my older A4, I'd stream via BT and using the Tune 2 Air gizmo so fast-forward six years and I was hoping for some improvements. Clearly, there have been and thankfully (via BT) I can now stream Spotify with actual track and artist information. Of course, there's got to be a drawback - and that is there seems no way to access alternative playlists or otherwise control Spotify from the MMI beyond just skipping tracks. This was bearable in the A4, but I kind of hoped the new A6 would be a little more flexible.

Undeterred, I did a bit of trial and error-ing including trying to use the Wireless Player (doesn't recognise Spotify) and Online Music (Has Napster, but no Spotify). I even tried to use Android Auto via the USB in the glovebox (seeing as there's no no dedicated lead in the glovebox) but no joy; the app doesn't recognise it's been plugged in and the car doesn't see it. I've later read online that the 2015/16 A6 isn't compatible with Android Auto.

So after this long ramble, I guess I'm asking two things:

Is it possible to get any more functionality out of controlling Spotify via the MMI than just skipping tracks? If so, is there some combination (e.g. using an iPhone) that makes it function? I've read about Apple's CarPlay - is that any better?

Would be willing to switch phones if it makes a difference ... Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Im also using Spotify via bluetooth, and unable to get any control functionality out of MMI.

Really annoying as I keep forgetting to set up playlists in advance, and when an album finishes playback, it just stops dead with no way to select anything without reverting handling the phone itself (Galaxy Note 5) Really annoying as the phone is in Audi's "phonebox" under the centre armrest.

I think Bluetooth only allows next/previous track selection, we'll it does on tracks stored on my Galaxy S7 Edge.
I use Napster via the MMI, this gives full control of tracks/playlists.