2013 Audi S3

Exicitment level dropped several notches when the dealer rang me to tell me the my car had a different spec. to the order :ermm:.
The mag ride had not been fitted!!!
Do you think that will make much difference to the handling/feel of the car? Are the modes provided (Comfort/Efficiency/Dynamic/auto) sufficient; am I loosing much without it?

Any help apreciated.

Wow! Sorry to hear that.

Although if it helps - i have not read a good thing said about the mag ride before, especially on this new S3, and i have read plenty of reviews to remember! The consenus seems to be that the ride is WAY too hard, and that the Dynamic and even standard modes are more than sufficient.

This type of thing scares me with the dealers, i even got mine to print off my final spec list and signed it (not that it could make much of a difference) as i'd hate for mine to arrive with something big missing from it.

How common is this anyone?

Anyway NQW - i honestly believe you got off lightly, so don't be disheartened.

Reactions: NotquiteWelsh
Frankly the S3 starts pretty well specced, most people would be more than happy with what you get as basic S3 spec.

There are items which make driving more pleasureable, or comfortable eg lumbar support or cruise control. Then there are things that you want becuase the look nice, paint, led lights.

So many options, I dont think the LED lights will be to popular due to cost, but i like the look of them, and the LED indicator is pretty smart.

Anyway I could have bought all the options on an A3, its the engine I really want to enjoy. Id love to know what the real world MPG is like. Lookig for trying it out to compare with some hypermiling style and flat to the floor fun.

Reactions: Lmg and gilesf
daytime use only for you then gilesf ?

i live in NE Scotland, adjacent to Cairngorm National Park. Come this time of year, we end up with very little daylight and very low sun.

i'd suggest that headlights are one of the most important features of any motor car as well as tyre selection.

but then i like to drive and drive hard as well as drive safely............

No!! I am happy with xenons, just don't need LED's, that's the point I'm making, nothing to do with not needing headlights! For me, a sunroof takes priority over LED's, that's it. Of course headlights are essential, just not LED's IMO.

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks
Exicitment level dropped several notches when the dealer rang me to tell me the my car had a different spec. to the order :ermm:.
Do you think that will make much difference to the handling/feel of the car? Are the modes provided (Comfort/Efficiency/Dynamic/auto) sufficient; am I loosing much without it?

Any help apreciated.

I'm having nightmares about this. Hope they don't mess my spec up :(

No!! I am happy with xenons, just don't need LED's, that's the point I'm making, nothing to do with not needing headlights! For me, a sunroof takes priority over LED's, that's it. Of course headlights are essential, just not LED's IMO.

glad you clarified that :)

regarding the other post about incorrect order / delivery, not unusual for our German friends I'm afraid....

i will however be triple checking my order on Friday with my dealer. there is no room for error in my world !

Reactions: Danners78 and gilesf
Wow! Sorry to hear that.

Although if it helps - i have not read a good thing said about the mag ride before, especially on this new S3, and i have read plenty of reviews to remember! The consenus seems to be that the ride is WAY too hard, and that the Dynamic and even standard modes are more than sufficient.

This type of thing scares me with the dealers, i even got mine to print off my final spec list and signed it (not that it could make much of a difference) as i'd hate for mine to arrive with something big missing from it.

Thanks

I feel better already and it has saved me money. I ordered it before reviews of mag ride.

Anyway the Anthracite Alloys and Luna silver Alcantara interior IMO are rather good:yes:

I've had some great news today - After being told its going to be a January/February build, ive got a build date of w/c 4th November, I should have it by the end of November!!

I seem to remember someone posting that once you have a confirmed build date time this is the longest wait!

Now i just need to decide whether to have them prepare the pain or not. I have a couple of hour drive to get it home and don't really want the motorway drive without some form of protection. Any suggestions

Final build:

S3 Sportback, S-tronic
Estoril Blue
Comfort pack
Roof rails
Advanced Key
B&O sound system
Privacy Glass
Tech pack with connect
Tyre Pressure monitor
Through Load

That's quite a difference !
same build week as my S line, will get same weeks as you. Roll on end on November !

Reactions: Danners78
FWIW mine is fully specced but i didn't bther with mag ride as the standard dampers and spring settings seemed ideal on our local roads. i found the suspension to be compliant, composed and comfortable.

my only genuine criticism of the S3 is the poor steering feel which is somewhat remote and wooden and the cars propoensity for understeer.

however, it is a shopping cart in reality with 4wd and 300hp. it's no sports car per se !

Any help apreciated.

Man I'd be p**sed!! After all that wait they screwed up your order. As already pointed, out most people seem to be against the idea of mag ride on the S3', I have added this option so I hope mine is added. I like the idea of mag ride in conjunction with the drive select as it will make a bigger difference between setting. If I'm totally honest I think the mag ride will get little use after the novelty wares off.
Im sure you will get over it very quickly once the car arrives. I would however kick up big time with the dealer, obviously you will not be charged for the mag ride but I think you could get something out of Audi to compensate you for the error and your disappointment. Maybe some free servicing??

Good luck with that one, and enjoy your new S3 you lucky man!!

I'm having nightmares about this. Hope they don't mess my spec up :(

There will always be the odd mistake, but why me? It may also mean as I had this problem everyone else has a lower chance of getting a messed up spec.

Man I'd be p**sed!! After all that wait they screwed up your order. As already pointed, out most people seem to be against the idea of mag ride on the S3', I have added this option so I hope mine is added. I like the idea of mag ride in conjunction with the drive select as it will make a bigger difference between setting. If I'm totally honest I think the mag ride will get little use after the novelty wares off.
Im sure you will get over it very quickly once the car arrives. I would however kick up big time with the dealer, obviously you will not be charged for the mag ride but I think you could get something out of Audi to compensate you for the error and your disappointment. Maybe some free servicing??

Good luck with that one, and enjoy your new S3 you lucky man!!

Oh yes, the dealer was very good and sweetened the deal.

There will always be the odd mistake, but why me? It may also mean as I had this problem everyone else has a lower chance of getting a messed up spec.

Gambler's Fallacy... Sorry to hear they messed your spec up though. They messed up the wiring on my towbar, I had to go back to get it fitted. Is mag ride something they can retro-fit, or does it have to be in there from the start?

It's an interesting topic.

How do these kind of mistakes slip through the net if the order is printed out clearly? Surely there is high quality control checks in place all the way?

Also, if something like Pano roof or B&O sound system are missed off - how would Audi go about rectifying this? Would they prioritise a completely new car to be built quickly for us?

I imagine it is rare so don't want to start a panic.

I bet it's usually a dealer mistake - them putting the order into the system wrongly or something. I find it hard to believe the factory would make such a mistake as well.

I bet it's usually a dealer mistake - them putting the order into the system wrongly or something. I find it hard to believe the factory would make such a mistake as well.

Kinda what i'm thinking / hoping too.

I actually went to visit my dealer about a month before it got built and asked them to print out my full spec sheet, as the revised version where i'd swapped the black styling pack for the LED's never got e-mailed to me.

I checked it and then the salesman got me to sign his copy, and i have got mine on file.

I also got my spec printed out, and the dealer sent me a copy of the factory build sheet to check as well. Fingers crossed!

I also got my spec printed out, and the dealer sent me a copy of the factory build sheet to check as well. Fingers crossed!

Haven't got the factory build sheet, but it's built now anyway and possibly at Grimsby tomorrow / Friday so i will find out soon enough, i'm tempted to even get the dealer to run a check on the spec as soon as it gets to the dealership.

On a side note Silky - are you planning to tune the engine on the 8V? If so, have you heard of any software developments yet?

Wow! Sorry to hear that.

yeh I heard it was great and isn't needed but not tried it

also that's pretty poor considering how long they take to build!!

hope they gave you a discount/freebie as compo - id kick up a right fuss

Thanks for the links, yeah i have gone with white again, i know that they are common as muck these days, but i thought to myself that you've got to go with what you want for yourself, not what's "trendy" or dismissing it if it's a common colour......that's basing your colour choice on what other people think rather than you - the person spending the money and enjoying it...

Same goes for everyone on this thread i guess, we've all got our personal reasons with our choice, which is why it's good not to let any assumptious perceptions of others dictate our spec...

re: the Misano Red, this will be my third S3, my first was Red and i loved it, i think it's one of the best colours to show off all the chrome highlights around the rest of the car !

I was keen on getting a red car, as my last cars were a metallic light blue Peugeot 307xsi and a modded graphite dark metallic grey peugeot 205gti 1.9, vw golf mk2 gti mars red -

I fancied an audi or merc this time but colour was easy once id the marketing pics and they drew me to the audi and the merc was too cramped, although the merc colours are better imo. I didn't like the estoril blue as I thought it was too dark and my last car of 10+ years was blue so fancied a change

heres another lunar silver S3 interior :

Lunar

Hello from Australia!

In September I ordered a Misano Red Audi S3 Sportback (Roof Rails and Metallic Paint the only options) with a build week of 51. That has since been pushed to Week 48 and the last time I went to visit the dealer (There are no S3s in the country, so I go to visit their S-Line A3 from time to time:sob:) he told me that I could have it before Christmas. Very happy about that but not holding my breath.

You guys are completely spoiled for choice when it comes to options and, to be quite honest, when I see so some people worried about stainless steel footrests it makes me roll my eyes. Australia has two S3 options - with "performance kit" (Sports seats, sun roof, anthracite wheels, B&O) and without (Basically a fast A3 with S-line and 4 exhaust tips).

Anyways, I'm enjoying watching you all with your new babies. I need more pictures of the Misano Red Sportback with roof rails and standard S3 wheels.

Hello from Australia!

In September I ordered a Misano Red Audi S3 Sportback (Roof Rails and Metallic Paint the only options) with a build week of 51. That has since been pushed to Week 48 and the last time I went to visit the dealer (There are no S3s in the country, so I go to visit their S-Line A3 from time to time:sob:) he told me that I could have it before Christmas. Very happy about that but not holding my breath.

You guys are completely spoiled for choice when it comes to options and, to be quite honest, when I see so some people worried about stainless steel footrests it makes me roll my eyes. Australia has two S3 options - with "performance kit" (Sports seats, sun roof, anthracite wheels, B&O) and without (Basically a fast A3 with S-line and 4 exhaust tips).

Anyways, I'm enjoying watching you all with your new babies. I need more pictures of the Misano Red Sportback with roof rails and standard S3 wheels.

That's amusing - I was just about to post the exact same thing! I'm also from Australia (Melbourne) and ordered an S3 in September. In some ways I think that we have it easier - for fun I configured a car on the UK Audi site and was almost overwhelmed with the choice.

We opted for an Estoril Blue S-tronic (I was leaning towards the Misano but my wife preferred the Estoril) with the "performance" pack. I though it was OK value as it comes with:-

• S sports seats
  • Mag Ride
  • B&O sound system
  • 3D black inlays
  • 18" 'star' design wheels
  • S design red break callipers
  • LED headlights.

Standard items in Australia that are options in the UK include:-

• Advanced Key
  • mono.pur interior elements
  • 7" display, DVD, HDD, SHCD memory cards etc etc
  • S-tronic as a no-cost option
  • Xenons
  • Tyre Pressure Monitor
  • Drive select
  • Parking Plus with PA and rear view camera
  • Interior Lighting Package
  • Sports seats

But you are right - not much in the way of 'choice'! Also slightly disappointed with the minor de-tune for Australia's hot weather. Other than that, I really can't wait - last I heard, I wasn't going to seen mine till Feb :-(

Still, I love coming here every day to see what all you folks are up to.

Frankly the S3 starts pretty well specced, most people would be more than happy with what you get as basic S3 spec.

No Bob.. Sorry I disagree.. An A3/S3 should have parking sensors and Nav as standard + TPMS and Hill Hold.. Audi seem to be penny pinching in an attempt to squeeze as much extra cash out of us as possible when ordering our S3.. You don't even get a proper sound system now thanks to DaB being fitted which is pretty useless where I travel.. Come on Audi!

Last edited:
That's amusing - I was just about to post the exact same thing! I'm also from Australia (Melbourne) and ordered an S3 in September. In some ways I think that we have it easier - for fun I configured a car on the UK Audi site and was almost overwhelmed with the choice.

We opted for an Estoril Blue S-tronic (I was leaning towards the Misano but my wife preferred the Estoril) with the "performance" pack. I though it was OK value as it comes with:-

• S sports seats
  • Mag Ride
  • B&O sound system
  • 3D black inlays
  • 18" 'star' design wheels
  • S design red break callipers
  • LED headlights.
Standard items in Australia that are options in the UK include:-
  • Advanced Key
  • mono.pur interior elements
  • 7" display, DVD, HDD, SHCD memory cards etc etc
  • S-tronic as a no-cost option
  • Xenons
  • Tyre Pressure Monitor
  • Drive select
  • Parking Plus with PA and rear view camera
  • Interior Lighting Package
  • Sports seats
But you are right - not much in the way of 'choice'! Also slightly disappointed with the minor de-tune for Australia's hot weather. Other than that, I really can't wait - last I heard, I wasn't going to seen mine till Feb :-(

Still, I love coming here every day to see what all you folks are up to.

Ha ha love it.

Didn't think mag ride came with the sport pack. Definitely agree that our simplified options are a good thing.

The only thing I missed from the sport pack was the led headlights. I couldn't justify the extra $5k, particularly when I made the jump from GTi to s3.

Ha ha love it.

Didn't think mag ride came with the sport pack. Definitely agree that our simplified options are a good thing.

The only thing I missed from the sport pack was the led headlights. I couldn't justify the extra $5k, particularly when I made the jump from GTi to s3.

Unfortunately I accidentally saw the front indicators in the following video (3:07) and felt compelled to tick the option. I convinced myself that the car cost $65k and that the option was free. I bet you I'll be winging about the decision in a couple years when one of the LED globes breaks and I discover that it will cost a million dollars to replace.

2013 Audi S3 - YouTube

BTW, the video is 10 mins of Misano red for your viewing pleasure!

Reactions: Duds44
Regarding metallic pedals/footrest. My fathers BMW M5 13/14 model has normal plastic pedals and footrest whereas the American versions are fully stainless steel. Just seems to be a strange quirk that isn't solely with audi.

Reactions: Silky-S3
Black styling pack on Sportback & LED's!

So glad I selected these options now!

KGrHqFHJBkFJSFtd3zBSZolVRZ2Q48 27T2eC16VHJHgFFmJ6YqzBSZolis3w48 27T2eC16dHJFoFH5cOrjBSZolpFzjQ48 27

Reactions: smudger69, Kempysue, Aran383 and 1 other person
Hi Guys... can anyone help with this decision - should I select body coloured wing mirrors on my black S3 with black styling pack?? the one in these pictures has the chrome which looks good, just wonder whether "all black" would look better??​

Hi Guys... can anyone help with this decision - should I select body coloured wing mirrors on my black S3 with black styling pack?? the one in these pictures has the chrome which looks good, just wonder whether "all black" would look better??​

IMHO the black S3's require contrasted rails , surrounds and mirrors in Chrome.

Well I finally have a build week. Week 10 so delivery end of March.

Fellas!

Dealer e-mailed earlier and told me that he can have the car ready to collect Monday afternoon pending funds clearing! It's probably going to take until Wednesday for them to clear so not bad going given my original date given for delivery was early December!

Quick question - if they can have the car ready to collect on Monday, when will it be arriving at the dealer? Tomorrow?

Was gonna have a saunter down on Saturday if so...

Fellas!

Dealer e-mailed earlier and told me that he can have the car ready to collect Monday afternoon pending funds clearing! It's probably going to take until Wednesday for them to clear so not bad going given my original date given for delivery was early December!

Quick question - if they can have the car ready to collect on Monday, when will it be arriving at the dealer? Tomorrow?

The dealer is only informed of delivery either the day before or on the day of delivery; so if they know it will be ready for monday I would guess it'll be there tomorrow.

Reactions: Johnnyb

I would think it is there already, dealers typically allow two or three days for PDI depending on how busy they are. Would suggest phoning first as different dealers store pre collection cars in different places depending on space and could well be in a holding yard some where rather than at the dealership itself.

Reactions: Johnnyb