1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Audi S3

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Snake Pliskin, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Scotty2011

Scotty2011 Active Member

[Mar 12, 2014]
    It was a fun car to drive on a windy dry road, but that was really it for me. Its too much torque for a front wheel drive car, front wheels would slip all the time. And wasn't a particularly well built car, I had to replace the wiring loom for the sat nav as it was corroded, engine rattle, rear wheel arches were rusting, stitching was coming loose off the seats and to top it off, after I ordered the S3, the dual mass fly wheel and clutch needed replace just after it ran out of warranty. I did have good fun with it though, it kept up with M3's and RS4's.
    I haven't had a chance to throw the S3 round any corners yet so can't compare in the handling with the RS.
  2. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Active Member

[Mar 13, 2014]
    snap, though mine has a pano roof
  3. Pasper2

Pasper2 New Member

[Mar 13, 2014]
    Build week 13 confirmed, getting excited now. Mid-Late April and my spangly S3 should be here.
    Ordered Dec 20th and build week came forward a week.
  4. Joetidman

Joetidman Well-Known Member

[Mar 13, 2014]
    Just found out my S3 Saloon has been built!! Even more excited now! :yahoo:
  5. gilesf

gilesf Member

[Mar 13, 2014]
    Nice one. I ordered early Dec for wk 19 build, come fwd 3 weeks already, mid May collection, CANNOT WAIT!!
    Joetidman and vegnomeat like this.
  6. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Member

[Mar 13, 2014]
    I thought it was about time I posted an update.

A year ago today I was preparing to go to the Geneva Motor Show to see the new S3 at it's official launch. For those that remember the early days of this (Snake's) very popular thread you will also remember the excitement of the upcoming S3 as I do. It really helped in those early days of research to try and satisfy that yearning for information!

Seeing the new S3 in the flesh and sitting in it at Geneva last year made up my mind that the S3 was the car that I wanted.

After much research and finally driving two S3s on extended tests - last October - my order went in. The wait then continued but
    to keep me occupied during all this time I was building a new garage to house my new S3.

Well last week on 03/03/14 I finally collected my S3 :)

My S3 was everything I expected and more. After all the build up - pulling off the silky cover sheet to reveal my gleaming S3 was a truly incredible experience. A dream realised.

I have covered about 750 miles so far and can honestly say I have never grinned so much for so long. The S3 is truly amazing. I am so pleased with it and my specification although I still am learning the ropes about everything!

I have finally got around to uploading some photos onto my Flickr page.

My new S3

I look forward to many many thousands of miles motoring in this awesome machine :s3addict:
  7. Sparks43

Sparks43 3rd Gear

[Mar 13, 2014]
    I too went too geneva about this time last year and sat in the S3 -
    Picked mine up 1st March

Awesome you are not wrong
    Mani_S_Bhogal likes this.
  8. danilotto

danilotto Member

[Mar 13, 2014]
    Hi all, just a question on the brake pedal. I noticed on my brand new S3 (1 week so far) that sometimes, when I release the brake pedal following with the foot through its run, the action is not smooth...it seems something like a notch that prevents the pedal to immediately go to the full released position. Did you notice something similar on your car? Thanks!
  9. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Can't say I've noticed anything strange on my S3. When does it do it exactly? With handbrake on? With hold assist active?
  10. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    😰
    Cool 👍 You weren't the guy with the white shoes and black trousers who sat next to me in the S3 I suppose? :ermm:
  11. the_lecht_rocks

the_lecht_rocks Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    How's everyone enjoying the LED headlights ?
  12. Scotty2011

Scotty2011 Active Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Loving them. Very distinct look. Worth every penny.
  13. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2014]

Cool ... Are you gonna be the first on the forum to pick up an S3 saloon then ?

Look forward to write up and pics :cool:
  14. Snake Pliskin

[Mar 14, 2014]

Well its about time :)
    ha ha

Yeah where has the year gone since those initial talks began.
    Great to hear you are so pleased with your car - I don't think it was ever gonna disappoint though.
    You picked (IMO) the best colour and an amazing specification inc the all important LED lights, super sport seats, B&O, pano roof, privacy glass and mono pur ... plus all your other bits & bobs.

The pictures look excellent so thanks for sharing those.

So what is your next research project then :)
    Toadoftoadhall likes this.
  15. Sparks43

Sparks43 3rd Gear

[Mar 14, 2014]
    "Cool ������ You weren't the guy with the white shoes and black trousers who sat next to me in the S3 I suppose? :ermm:"

Well I had dark blue jeans on and white trainers - Thursday 14th was the day I went just found it on my works calendar (keep that cleared down obviously)
  16. danilotto

danilotto Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Nor with brake nor with hold assist active...it is something a "sticky" pedal on release sometime...I am trying to understand if it is associated with a particular behavior of the car but it seems totally random...
  17. Joetidman

[Mar 14, 2014]
  18. Sparks43

Sparks43 3rd Gear

[Mar 14, 2014]
    That's correct it's the footrest that isn't coming through stainless - This has been taken out of the S3 and Sportback brochure now
    Joetidman likes this.
  19. Joetidman

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Gotcha, cheers!
  20. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    They are excellent. We had fog last night and I was on nightshift. Very impressed indeed. The all weather lighting setting realy made a difference. The light is very clear indeed with good penetration. I have added a photo to My S3 flickr page as when I returned to the car the light beam pattern was so spectacular :)

The LEDs are very visually striking and it really does seem like daylight and is much easier on the eye at night than my previous car (Golf - halogens) Main beam assist is something I didnt think I would use (it was not a specified option for me but included with other things I wanted) but actually its been really good and very quick to react.
    Ryan_R and Snake Pliskin like this.
  21. Joetidman

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Wow, its like your car is firing a couple of laser beams from its face!
    Toadoftoadhall likes this.
  22. Snake Pliskin

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Stunning photo again and you have caught the LED beam brilliantly there.
  23. the_lecht_rocks

the_lecht_rocks Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    I gave the led headlights. How do I enable the all weather settings ?
  24. Scotty2011

Scotty2011 Active Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Theres a wee button on the light controls to your right side of the steering wheel. Its a cloud symbol.
  25. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    I was in the S3 on 16th March so someone else with white shoes!
  26. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Lovely photos. What camera??

27. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Most on my flickr sets are with my Canon 5D Mk3 - the grainy LED headlight beam shot was a quicky with my trusty Iphone5s :)
  28. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Good question :) Well i still have to kit out and do all the finishing stuff to the new garage but after that - who knows!
  29. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Very nice quality - might be time to upgrade my old 350d!
  30. visionthing

visionthing Active Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    1780224_750786268279616_159223757_o.jpg

Just picked up my car from Envy Car Care

Stage 1 polish and Opti-Coat Pro paint protection applied to a Brilliant Black S3.

:thumbsup: Excellent job by Tim from Envy Car Care - Gosport - Would highly recommend!
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Danners78, Scotty2011, Itguy and 2 others like this.
  31. Sparks43

Sparks43 3rd Gear

[Mar 14, 2014]
    Nice!!
  32. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Active Member

[Mar 14, 2014]
    bit daft my 11 year old Peugeot 307 folded its mirrors in or out as soon as you turn the ignition key
  33. Sparks43

Sparks43 3rd Gear

[Mar 15, 2014]
    You can set them in the mmi to fold when you lock the car but they unfold when you turn the ignition on rather than when you unlock - only option you have
  34. CraigI

CraigI Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Audi had this all set up for me on collection.
  35. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    So, I'm two weeks in now with our new S3 so thought I'd write some more thoughts on the car having now totalled about 1200 miles.

Firstly, the not so good

Can't pair two phones at once to Bluetooth - this is a pain after having it on my previous MINI

High beam assist / variable beam control is a little slow to return to full beam after a car has gone past

Car a little more thirsty than I was hoping for, even when I've been taking it really steady (32mpg mixed taking it easy)

I'm not being let out of as many junctions as I was in the MINI (expected I suppose)

DIS menus go back to a default setting after power off (ie telephone menu defaults to directory rather than call list, same with Radio/ Media). Why can't it just remember where you were!?

Can't end or answer a telephone call easily on the steering wheel, have to use MMI wheel (unless someone can tell me how?!)

Parking can be tricky with the hold assist and s tronic, especially if you are trying to just edge a bit closer to a wall etc. Can surge slightly when it releases and you tap the accelerator.

Reversible boot mat - rubbish. Have put it in the loft and ordered a boot liner from Titan.

No water temp gauge

"Want" to go and drive - maybe it's because I've been driving in E mode and trying to get a decent mpg but I don't wake up every morning thinking "yes, another drive in my new S3" which may be me getting older, bored easily, worried about the cost, etc etc. It's certainly not the same feeling as a new Fiesta ST which we drove recently which gave me the "just get in and abuse me" feel. This is probably the difference that the road testers comment on with the m135i vs S3. It's also been dry this week so Quattro not being touched, so as soon as it rains again I'll be back in love again I'm sure.

Now the good bits!

Performance - obvious really but it feels just right to me. Doesn't rip your head off but has a lot more go than 99% of other traffic meaning you never really feel like you're an underdog, especially for those petty early morning dual carridgeway roundabout drag races against the 320d / A4 tdi drivers. They like to try though! I like the engine note and it's even got a nice rumble in economy mode when just pottering about. I don't mind the stop start, it's quite intuitive and easy to control if it does it or not.

Clever s-tronic & drive select - they really have worked on this since the dsg in our golf. Fantastic economy mode which coasts when you are not accelerating or braking and super smooth gear changes in all driving conditions and drive select modes.

Variable steering rack - I'm liking this. Means I very rarely have to move my hands from quarter to and quarter past.

MMI - intuitive, gets me to where I want to go easily and with connect the online destination functions finally replicate google maps functionality in a car system. This is what we've been needing for ages in car tech. Petrol station functionality is great too.

Overall looks - I love the way my car looks and am really happy with my choices. The panther black is lovely in direct sun and just looks like a glossy black in the shade. Saw it the other night under car park led lighting and it looked amazing! It will need regular attention to keep it looking good though, which is maybe a downside but that's the same for any black car. Wheels are easier to clean than they look.

ACC - I've posted my liking of this before but the more I use it the more I like it. It was foggy the other morning and I set it to distance 4 and kept a nice long distance from the car in front. I think in this way it is a great safety feature and an electronic second pair of eyes for me. Lane assist is also helpful like this.

Interior light pack - this just sets the interior off i think. Nice little touches everywhere and makes the cabin very easy to use at night. Not sure about the footwell background lighting yet but they can be adjusted anyway.
    Ryan_R, Joetidman, warren_S5 and 2 others like this.
  36. Ecosphere

Ecosphere Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Mmmm agreeing broadly with above, particularly when driven in economy.
    I'm loving driving it though and "want" to at every opportunity. Even in comfort I find performance brilliant, great for commuting, odd periods in dynamic / sport the performance is borderline insane, few roads where it is safe to make full use of.

Hope to do an A to Z for those still waiting soon, but today I may need to find some good roads ;-)
    S3_Timmo likes this.
  37. Sparks43

Sparks43 3rd Gear

[Mar 15, 2014]
    With regards to the phone - you should be able to end the call by pressing the left wheel on the steering wheel - it should say on the dis end call and you just press the wheel down
  38. VeeDubDan

VeeDubDan Active Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    I must admit I do find the handbrake to be quite "grabby" on release. Not sure if this is related to being S Trontic or not. We have a new Golf which is manual which is far smoother when releasing the handbrake.
  39. Battlekrapz

Battlekrapz Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    ~RS~ likes this.
  40. Battlekrapz

Battlekrapz Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    ~RS~ likes this.