2013 Audi S3

Need a bit of help as to what this may be...

Today and tonight i have noticed an intermittent smell of burning rubber in the cabin, it's only mild and not always there, and no i haven't been wheelspinning or doing doughnuts :)

Was wondering if it could be an oil issue?

Will see how i get on tomorrow but thought it was a little odd....popped the bonnet after the drive and couldn't really smell anything strong either...

I've only had the car 5 days Jonny and I noticed the same thing yesterday, how many miles have you done so far?

I've only had the car 5 days Jonny and I noticed the same thing yesterday, how many miles have you done so far?

Actually just had Audi roadside assistance out as Audi couldn't get me booked in until 7th Jan, so they advised me to call them. Brilliant service arrived at my home within an hour!

Anyway, he had a good look and said that he believes it is the brushes in the motor wearing in, and that it's normal to get this smell, he said it should disappear when it wears in properly..

I have done 3K miles and he said you can still get the smell after that much mileage..

He said it's worth to keep the appointment for the 7th Jan if i was wanting peace of mind and for them to do a full check on it..

I also asked him a few other questions whilst he was here..

1) the metallic whistling sound is completely normal and is due to the new cylinder system and how they operate..
2) the washer jets all have a delay
3) the cigarette lighter has been designed to only operate when the ignition is on
4) he agrees that the car is a f*****g beast

oh and he loved my wheels (in case you're reading this PilotAudi haha)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Lmg and Kempysue
Actually just had Audi roadside assistance out as Audi couldn't get me booked in until 7th Jan, so they advised me to call them. Brilliant service arrived at my home within an hour!

Anyway, he had a good look and said that he believes it is the brushes in the motor wearing in, and that it's normal to get this smell, he said it should disappear when it wears in properly..

I have done 3K miles and he said you can still get the smell after that much mileage..

He said it's worth to keep the appointment for the 7th Jan if i was wanting peace of mind and for them to do a full check on it..

I also asked him a few other questions whilst he was here..

1) the metallic whistling sound is completely normal and is due to the new cylinder system and how they operate..
2) the washer jets all have a delay
3) the cigarette lighter has been designed to only operate when the ignition is on
4) he agrees that the car is a f*****g beast

oh and he loved my wheels (in case you're reading this PilotAudi haha)

Hope that helps!

Cheers mate! Took my dad for a spin yesterday and he noticed the smell first, got me a bit worried as I thought it might have been due to a couple of launch control starts I had tried the day before, this has put me at ease 😃. Thought the metallic whistling is a bit strange though, doesn't sound very healthy! But oh well, if they says it's normal it must be......

Cheers mate! Took my dad for a spin yesterday and he noticed the smell first, got me a bit worried as I thought it might have been due to a couple of launch control starts I had tried the day before, this has put me at ease 😃. Thought the metallic whistling is a bit strange though, doesn't sound very healthy! But oh well, if they says it's normal it must be......

To be fair there is a few members on here with the metallic whistle sound, the Audi tech tild me that there has been loads of S3's in at the dealerships with this complaint only to be told it's completely normal..

It's a shame they don't put out a little booklet detailing all these sounds and smells stating they are normal, it would probably save everyone alot of time and effort!

Reactions: Aran383
That would be a very wise idea, Would save a lot of time as I was going to book an appointment! This said, can't fault the car on anything else really, Been enjoying it far too much!

To be fair there is a few members on here with the metallic whistle sound, the Audi tech tild me that there has been loads of S3's in at the dealerships with this complaint only to be told it's completely normal..

It's a shame they don't put out a little booklet detailing all these sounds and smells stating they are normal, it would probably save everyone alot of time and effort!

When is this metallic whistle sound noticeable? On idle? Should be collecting mine next week so will listen out for it.

That would be a very wise idea, Would save a lot of time as I was going to book an appointment! This said, can't fault the car on anything else really, Been enjoying it far too much!

Same here, just gets better everyday!

Will definitely be ready for a remap though in the next 6 months!

Only seen one other S3 on the road, 3 door, thought it was Amalfi white when i saw it in my rear view mirror, then forgot i had privacy glass as it went past me and was Glacier!

Reactions: Aran383
When is this metallic whistle sound noticeable? On idle? Should be collecting mine next week so will listen out for it.

Not on idle, just low revs 2-3K then disappears when the revs increase, i had it from day 1 so not and issue for me..

Went to Newcastle Audi today on recommendation of Jonathan (Zig81)

Ordered the following:

S3 SportBack S-Tronic
Estoril Crystal Blue
Technology Pack
LED Interior Pack
LED Headlights
Audi Sound System
Full Black leather silver stitching
Standard S3 Wheels

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Found them to be brilliant, very friendly and would definitely recommend them.
They will contact me when they have a build date from the factory.

now the long wait begins....

Reactions: Zig81 and Scott
Same here, just gets better everyday!

Will definitely be ready for a remap though in the next 6 months!

Only seen one other S3 on the road, 3 door, thought it was Amalfi white when i saw it in my rear view mirror, then forgot i had privacy glass as it went past me and was Glacier!

Yeah 6 months down the road I'll probably be thinking of a remap too, possibly also get some lowering springs....

Reactions: Johnnyb and J6YAK
Went to Newcastle Audi today on recommendation of Jonathan (Zig81)

Ordered the following:

S3 SportBack S-Tronic
Estoril Crystal Blue
Technology Pack
LED Interior Pack
LED Headlights
Audi Sound System
Full Black leather silver stitching
Standard S3 Wheels

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Found them to be brilliant, very friendly and would definitely recommend them.
They will contact me when they have a build date from the factory.

now the long wait begins....
Glad you got sorted mate.

trs888 Are you missing the Tyre sensor, comfort pack and the hill hold?

Other than that a nice car, you'll love the LED lights and estoril paint

trs888 Are you missing the Tyre sensor, comfort pack and the hill hold?

Other than that a nice car, you'll love the LED lights and estoril paint

hey,

no i don't use tyre sensors in my Golf GTI, as ill be changing the wheels every few weeks (have 5 sets of wheels, 6 including wheels with S3) so they don't have tyre pressure sensors. would be too expensive to fit anyway on all those wheels.

comfort pack - never really used parking sensors, i do use cruise sometimes, more than i should but i can add that later if i think about it more. Not too fussed tho, don't really do much motorway. seeing as I'm getting LED headlights, the other part of the package is light and rain sensor so i already got that.

Hill hold - never needed it on my Golf either and its DSG.

yes, i love the LEDs too. some might say I'm obsessed. even retrofitted DRL LEDS to my Golf GTI inside the actual headlight, not just a bulb. i don't like the fact that they're just DRLs on the Xenon lights and theres a separate indicator. i like the full LED headlight. Xenons look good tho, i would never have halogen again.

Tyre pressure sensors are part of the ABS system, nothing to do with the wheels.

Looks like you have thought it all through trs888

I think the tyre pressure sensors work on road resistance rather than actuall pressure, i.e. if the tyre deflates than the traction control components detect the trye is putting more resistance. If you change tyres or pressure you just need to reset / recalibrate the sensor so it now knows the default.

I can see the comfort pack reason same as my last A1, the car was for fun driving more than motorway driving. And I didnt really need parking sensors on a small car.

If you love the LEDs try and get a look at the new R8 indicators, they sort of pulsate outwards rather than flash as a single strip. 2013 Audi R8 Facelift 4.2 FSI Spyder - In Detail (1080p FULL HD) - YouTube
I really think Audi missed a trick not giving the A3 LED Lights this

Enjoy the long wait, its worth it when it arrives

Hi yeah they look cool. I think on the facelift a8 that also has them. Look really good I think and yes a shame about the s3.
I like the dimming down or in the s3 case just the indicator is on so its clearer to see. Mine does that on the golf and then fades back on again to 100% brightness when the indicator clicks off.

Oh and you'd have thought the front and back would be the same. The fronts don't have the same effect. Just on and off!

Roof rails are a must to finish off the look of the Sportback.
Comfort pack should be standard on a car like this, and is the one must have option for functional reasons.
B&O if you like listening to music.

Other than these I don't think you need to add much, although my personal preference is for Alcantara over full leather.

Reactions: J6YAK
TPMS just measures the rotation of the wheels, nothing else - as a flat wheel will rotate at a different speed to a correctly inflated one. Nothing to do with road resistance either (not sure how you'd measure that even).

I'd add the comfort pack just for resale reasons, and if you have the comfort pack... add the ACC :p Hold Assist is a cheap additional with great function as well, even if you don't use hill hold in your current car (which is a slightly different thing).

Only seen three other S3s on the road so far. Two in Aberdeen (hardly surprising) and one in Edinburgh...all red (Brilliant of Misano, I couldn't tell the difference), and all 3dr. Nice to know they're still rare for the time being at least...and still draw a lot of looks!

There's always debate about what should be standard on cars like this. I prefer to have less standard and more as options. Means I spec the car exactly how I want it. Take Comfort Pack, I didn't spec this as I can't stand parking, light or rain sensors (have had them on previous cars). Absolute must have IMO is hold assist. Was skeptical when I ordered as I thought I'd never use it, but fact is I've never even touched the handbrake. Less standard also means lower base price and more money to spend on spec I want.

I wouldn't spend too much time fretting about options for resale when ordering new. The whole point of ordering new is to get exactly what you want, not what you think someone else will want. Otherwise, wait a year or two for someone else to take the initial hit on depreciation and then buy used.

Reactions: cemerson
Some new pictures.

11608145286_c8799af663_b.jpg

11607336354_546c197edc_b.jpg

11607757646_f094a0e141_b.jpg

11607305276_e2bfbdf08f_b.jpg

11606459793_03b7373e8d_b.jpg

11605993425_6db2cd24b0_b.jpg

Reactions: Flebaz, ~RS~, koubare and 6 others
thats gorgeous

can one of you do me a massive favour and look at your vin platee and let me know what the mvw (max vehicle weight) and mtw (max train weight)

thanks in advance

I've not seen another S3 on the road yet

Neither have I (apart from the demos on the audi-sport day at Oulton park). Any others in North Wales? Had an RS3 come up on me quick the other day; it slowed down as I peeled off at an intersection, probably taking a good look!

Only seen three other S3s on the road so far. Two in Aberdeen (hardly surprising) and one in Edinburgh...all red (Brilliant of Misano, I couldn't tell the difference), and all 3dr. Nice to know they're still rare for the time being at least...and still draw a lot of looks!

There's always debate about what should be standard on cars like this. I prefer to have less standard and more as options. Means I spec the car exactly how I want it. Take Comfort Pack, I didn't spec this as I can't stand parking, light or rain sensors (have had them on previous cars). Absolute must have IMO is hold assist. Was skeptical when I ordered as I thought I'd never use it, but fact is I've never even touched the handbrake. Less standard also means lower base price and more money to spend on spec I want.

I wouldn't spend too much time fretting about options for resale when ordering new. The whole point of ordering new is to get exactly what you want, not what you think someone else will want. Otherwise, wait a year or two for someone else to take the initial hit on depreciation and then buy used.

Agree... though I like all the sensors and gadgets so I tend to spec all those, and see most cosmetic options / different wheels / trim etc as pointless so don't bother with them! It's good you get the choice, though there are some things you should expect as standard these days - Bluetooth for one, SD / USB support for music is another I think is inexcusable not to come with these days. Luckily the A3 comes with both! You wouldn't expect a car to come without (for example) power steering, electric windows, ABS or airbags these days, some things that are 'nice to haves' in the past become almost essential now, and I think the same will happen to some of the nice to haves we have now in the future.

I've seen 4 red ones and 1 black one so car in Aberdeenshire. J222 CKD I've seen a few times. 3 door. Is the owner on here ?

I've seen 2 Red (1 Audi demo) 1 Glacier 3dr, 1 Estoril 3dr and 1 Black 3dr( I think it was Aran383 but not sure?) all in Aberdeen

Yes, I'm from the Netherlands. The southern part with hills.

This picture is made in Lelystad:

9589612982_6f9bb2db9e_b.jpg

Very nice mate!! Looks real good in Grey!!

Where are u from in the Netherlands? I have family in Dronten and Lelystatd (forgive my spelling)

Reactions: Ecosphere