2012 A4 Black Edition - Winter Alloys Size Choices?

DJUK

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought a 2012 A4 2.0 TDI (177PS) Avant Black Edition and I'm looking to invest in a set of rims to fit with winter tyres - particularly as we are expecting a baby in January and I don't fancy failing to get out of the street on the critical hospital run!

The car has 19" wheels fitted and an option could be to just have the tyres swapped every 6 months but I'd imagine the swapping costs would add up fairly quickly, and 19" tyres aren't particularly cheap.

Are there are restrictions as to what size of alloys I can fit? Looking to get original Audi alloys rather than aftermarket.

Thanks

DJUK

Hi mate, you could put the 18" s line wheels on with 245/40/18 tyres on or the se 17" wheels with 225/50/17 with winter tyres unless someone can correct me?
I'm guessing the latter 17"s will be cheaper for rubber.
Really depends on if ud be happy with the look when your used to the nice rotors.
Swapping tyres would be a rough guess of £10 quid a tyre.
Another thought for you is to buy 18" rotor reps and dress them in winter tyres.
U get a set of 4 reps for less than £400 quid

I put 18"s on mine, aftermarket wheels but decent tyres, wheels £100ea, tyres £200ea. They still look pretty good, much better ride too. BTW I think 17"s wil look too small

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Depends if you want to use them in snow?
SE wheels are 7.5J x 17; ET 45 with 225/50 R17 94Y CONTINENTAL WINTER CONTACT TS 830 P 98V XL you will be able to go anywhere and more importantly stop quickly.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Is anyone running 19" winter tyres on their rotor wheels? Is the profile of the wheel going to make it less effective in the snow vs 17s?

I priced up 19s for my S4 but in the end went for 18" replicas fitted with Dunlop 4D wintersport tyres as they were pretty much the same price.

I priced up 19s for my S4 but in the end went for 18" replicas fitted with Dunlop 4D wintersport tyres as they were pretty much the same price.

Thanks that might actually be a good middle ground - particularly when I've factored in at least 80 quid a year in charges just to have the tyres swapped over.

Out of interest what size tyre does the 18" rotor replica take? Will take a look at some prices

Mine are fitted with 245/40 R18 as per the winter tyre sticker on the door.

Yeah 200 each, I do not see the point in putting bargain basement tyres on a car with this much power and that cost as much as it did.
The winters should last a few years though, they handle real good, very smooth ride and are quieter than my summer tyres. I spent time researching what ones to get and got the Michlin based on performance, no regrets here.
I did originally get a set of 19"s but the wheels touched the front calipers, they were supposed to fit so they went back and I then opted for a set of 18"s, I got a load of cash back too, glad the 19"'s did'nt work out in the end.

Last edited:
Yeah but u said 200 ea? That mean each tyre or 4?

The 18" wheel and tyre package cost £1200, 19" winter tyres (limited brands available due to size) were over £300 per tyre.
I always go for a decent brand and just shop around to get the best price, I managed to get my 19" conti summers for £180 each from Audi but decent winter tyres seem to be pricier than summers, probably due to the relatively small uk market for them, however this will be my third winter on them and when I sell the car I'll just sell the alloys on eBay.

Keep an eye on gumtree / ebay. I picked up a set of genuine audi S4 winter wheels with conti snowsports that had 1500 miles on them for £950 - cost the fitst owner £1800 from Audi.

Keep an eye on gumtree / ebay. I picked up a set of genuine audi S4 winter wheels with conti snowsports that had 1500 miles on them for £950 - cost the fitst owner £1800 from Audi.

Great result!

I personally would go for 17 inch wheels and slightly narrower tyres. I bought a set of the 17 inch alloys used on the SE. You can get really good quality 225/50/17 winter tyres for less than £90.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wrd3/225-50-r17-98h-416457

These tyres get really good reviews
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nokian/WR-D3.htm

The 17's will fit over the 345mm brakes used on the S4 /S5 but 17 inch is not recommended size for the S4/S5.
It is for the other B8's.

You can buy a set of 17 inch alloys brand new from Tyreleader for around £300.

Karl

This ^^ Mine came from ebay, had been used for 600 miles on a A4 allroad and still had 8mm tread.... £600 delivered.

Thanks for the good advice everyone, only just getting round to look at this again now - predictably as the temperature drops.

I've made a couple of enquiries on 17" wheel/tyre sets on ebay and have been told both times that 17" wheels will not fit a 2012 A4 Black Edition due to the size of the brakes. Does anybody know what combination of 17s or 18s and tyre is a compatible match? Seems to be enormous choice out there and a mistake could be expensive.

Well I have the 345mm Audi S4 brake system on my car on the front and 17 inch OE rims fit on my car. Had to move the balance weight slightly on one wheel to clear the caliper but it's not an issue. I have tried 4 different 17 inch rims and only found one that wouldn't fit and they were an old style BBS wheel. The 345mm brake system is described by Audi as a 17 inch brake system.
The 320mm 16 inch.
I can't see the black edition running 345mm brakes, I would have thought 320mm which was originally on my 3.0 tdi 240bhp quattro and will actually go under 16 inch rims.
Look at the option codes on the build sticker to see what brakes you have.
1LT , 1LY 314MM , 1LA 320MM , 1LJ 345MM

Just for interest, my 3.0 tdi 245bhp quattro, Black Edition has the 320mm discs (1LA)