2010 Audi A6 - does it have Navigation? How can you tell: Nav vs No Nav?

Cos

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum, as I just bought a used 2010 Audi A6 S-Line, Special Edition.
The seller was not able to tell me if the car has Navigation or not.

After doing a lot of research on different forums and unsuccessful attempts of inquiring the original dealer (Uptown Audi in Markham) and even Audi Canda (by phone) i still cannot tell for sure whether I have the Navigation on my car or not.

I also can't tell which MMI version I have- I suppose it's the 3g but not sure if it's 3g low or high.

Could anyone here help me figuring this out?

The A6 has 2 players in the glove compartment, positioned next to each other - a 6CD/Mp3 changer as well as another CD or DVD player with 2 SD card slots (called Audi Multimedia). It also seem to have the Audi AMI (the plugin for USB/IPhone etc cables). It also has the MMI color screen (but I cannot tell if it's 6.5 or 7 inches), DSP audio. The car also has the blutooth and voice recognition integrated which both work fine.

When I press the Nav button the screen displays "Navigation system not available" in some blue color while when I press the Info button it displays "Info not available" in the same blue color. Could this mean that the Nav system is present but the Nav DVD is not inserted maybe?

Or could it be that all the hardware for the Nav system is there but it just needs to be activated?

Shouldn't I be able to get the full specs of my car from the Audi dealership? I called a couple of local dealerships about this and the people there that I talked to didn't even quite seem to know what the MMI is or how to check which kind I have. - at one point somebody from service even said that my car doesn't have MMI at all (which I know I have it and already used it- all 2010 A6 have it)

Thank you and I appreciate your help.

Cos

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Enjoy the forum :) x

Reactions: Cos
That's a good idea, I will try that. Thank you Ste_Nova.
Would they give me the info in English though? - my german is a bit rusty :)

If it says navigation not installed, then for sure it is not. The NAV is part of that multimedia device in the glovebox. It sounds like an early 2009/10 model facelift low model that doesn't have NAV. There were quite a few of them before NAV was standard.

To tell if you have high just look at the MMI control panel, it it has a flat large round control then it is low, if it has a little control button on top of the large control then it is high. But having said that, all high systems come with NAV, so it's unlikely to be high.

Hi Craig,

It actually says Navigation not available (not 'not installed') which led me to think that the Nav DVD may be just missing.
If it doesn't have it then why would they put the Audi Multimedia on it (the DVD or CD with the 2 SD card slots) since it already has the 6 CD changer.

Could it be the case maybe that it might have all the hardware and the wiring for Nav but it's not activated? Are the Nav systems working off this Audi Multimedia module for the cars that have this option?

Does anybody know what could be involved in adding the Nav if it doesn't have it?

Thanks for all your help,

Cos

If it says navigation not installed, then for sure it is not. The NAV is part of that multimedia device in the glovebox. It sounds like an early 2009/10 model facelift low model that doesn't have NAV. There were quite a few of them before NAV was standard.

To tell if you have high just look at the MMI control panel, it it has a flat large round control then it is low, if it has a little control button on top of the large control then it is high. But having said that, all high systems come with NAV, so it's unlikely to be high.

If it is installed and the DVD is not in place then it would say "Insert DVD medium" or something similar, pretty sure of it. Again your suspicions maybe correct as usually with a DVD nav unit you need a 6 CD to play disks on, so the usual pairing is a DVD nav & CD changer, whereas if your multimedia unit is just a CD player and not a nav then they usually don't require the 6 CD, but it could have been added as an option.

It says multimedia as it can play MP3 SD/CD/AMI all in the same box, so multimedia being the general term for lots of media formats.

If it doesn't have NAV you can replace that multimedia control head for one that does, I think I even have one here.

If it is installed and the DVD is not in place then it would say "Insert DVD medium" or something similar, pretty sure of it. Again your suspicions maybe correct as usually with a DVD nav unit you need a 6 CD to play disks on, so the usual pairing is a DVD nav & CD changer, whereas if your multimedia unit is just a CD player and not a nav then they usually don't require the 6 CD, but it could have been added as an option.

It says multimedia as it can play MP3 SD/CD/AMI all in the same box, so multimedia being the general term for lots of media formats.

If it doesn't have NAV you can replace that multimedia control head for one that does, I think I even have one here.

That means that I could just replace the Audi Multimedia CD (the one with the 2 SD card slots) with one that has the DVD Navigation). Do you have one of those for sale? Where are you located?

Thanks

Hi,

I looked at the Warranty and Maintenance booklet and indeed, based on one of the codes there it looks like I don't have the NAV system. Oh well, I will probably stick with the Garmin unit if I won't be able to find a reasonable way to add the car's original Nav system.
I also got the MMI booklet from Audi (was missing from the car when I bought it), and it looks like I have the Radio Plus MMI system (which I think it's the MMI 3G but without the Navigation.

Thanks to all for your help.