2010 A3 - How do I break it in?

mrviews

Reaction score
Hello,

My A3 is getting delivered today (2010 2.0 TDI) and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to "break in" the engine? Someone mentioned that I shouldn’t go over a certain RPM/speed for the first 1000 miles as it can cause engine damage. How true is this?

I'm not the type to thrash about a car, if I drive it "normally" (e.g - sticking to speed limits, not over-revving etc) will it be ok?

This car comes with free maintenance so if anything mechanical happens it should be covered, however I don't wanna cause unnecessary damage

Thanks

Just depends what you feel most comfortable doing

Personally on a new car I would take it easy for a bit but I definately wouldnt be flying out the show room

No harm putting the foot down in my opinion in 3rd/4th gear to get the engine going a bit once its warm

Personal choice really

Just depends what you feel most comfortable doing

Personally on a new car I would take it easy for a bit but I definately wouldnt be flying out the show room

No harm putting the foot down in my opinion in 3rd/4th gear to get the engine going a bit once its warm

Personal choice really

Thanks!

There was a thread on here about it but I can't find it for some reason. I copied the details about the break in procedure outlined in the thread to my desktop but I'll be a bit before I actually get to the computer...

It said to be pretty hard on the engine even when cold so that you get some boost to seat the rings. When I find the write up I'll post it on here for you. :readit:

I was speaking to the hand over guy at Audi regarding this. He said that its fine... drive the car like you would normally drive it; obviously don't go crazy and red line every gear.

The main thing is to check your oil. Audi gave me an extra bottle of oil to top it up. I checked it the other day and it seem fine.

Found it... I can't remember who posted it originally but I hope it helps!

Rules that apply for the life of the car
-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.

First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 3,800. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm application of power is strongly recomended up to 3,800 rpm. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 5,100 rpm power range. Avoid steady rpms. Avoid the use of cruise control. Frequent application of full throttle is recomended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in a TDI due to frequent stops and acceleration. Once you get to 5,000 miles change the oil and perform your first service per the manual

5,000-10,000 miles
Use of the cruise control is ok at this point since most of the initial
break in has occured. Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings. You will notice the engine become slightly louder during this phase due to less friction from the engine breaking in (normal for a diesel to become louder under lighter loads). If your going on a long drive and you are using the cruise, every so often step on the peddle to accelerate up about 20 mph then coast back down to your preset speed.

10,000-60,000
This is when the rest of the
break in occurs. The engine from the factory will check out with about 475psi of compression pressure out of the crate. It will take at least 60,000 miles to reach the peak pressure of 550psi. For the most part once you get to 10,000 miles your compression will be around 510psi meaning that most of the break in has occured.

60,000-the life of the motor
The engines I have seen so far using a 5w40 oil are maintaining 550 psi of compression pressure with over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The owners have followed the advice above and do not have any oil consumption issues. This also means that with the higher pressure the engine is more efficient returning optimal fuel economy and reduced smoke output.

Use ALL the revs from day one, but don't hold at the revs high for a long period (similarly don't let it labour at low revs). The rings MUST bed in within the first few hundred miles, otherwise the bores will glaze and the engine will more likely use more oil (and make less power) later in life.

I'd say the 1000-5000 element from above is correct but needs to apply from day one.

This comes from a VERY reliable source....