2010 8P Bi-xenon retrofit - LED DRL problem

MilkDawg

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have fitted a set of Bi-xenon lamps to my 2010 170tdi using the 2010+ cables from Kufatec.

The headlights work (main and dipped) although dipped beam on one side is purple and not as bright (I suspect new bulb needed) but I have no LED DRLs at all.

The car has been coded and the cables have been installed into the pins from the kufatec instructions but no joy.

Can anyone shed any light please?

Well atm we dont know what you've wired & where, but coding/wiring are the only things that would affect the setup, so you need to check this 1st.

Hi.

I have wired the four cables to the suggested pins from the Kufatec manual. Those pins are Connector A, pin 44, Connector C, pins 26, 48 & 49.

The shutters are working correctly on both sides, indicators and main beam but no DRL LEDs.

I suspect it is down to coding. Could you advise exactly what needs to be changed please?

Many thanks for your help!

How many wires are connected to each headlight, be specific about the pin numbers aswell, before you look at coding, you need to check wiring is all in place.

To be honest, I am not sure which pin does what, as it doesnt state in the manual or anywhere online that I can find. I just matched up the small writing on each cable to the corresponding pins in the CE. As the shutters work, they must be the right cables in the right pins, so if I knew which two pins control the shutters, I will know that the remaining two must be the LEDs. I am assuming that there are 2 extra cables per headlamp.

Applogies for not having much more information. I appreciate you trying to help.

I understand you dont have detailed info, but its fairly simple to check which holes on the connectors have pins in, if you want help fella, you need to help us.

I wont have access to wiring schematics until this evening, so in meantime check pins fitted, post up & when I get back I can check for you, as I cant recall each & every wire given the different cars I work on daily :)

No problem. I can get you that information.

When playing with VCDS, I have managed to get one side completely working and the other side with no DRL and then after playing some more, managed to get the other side fully working but then the other sides LEDs stopped!

Have you enabled the drl's within module 09 & what have you set the headlights to, there's a drop down box for the code for specific headlights.

Sounds like the headlight connector (kufatec one) has the drl wire in the back not placed in the right pin... Seen it happen before

Ahh ok, I can check that too.

There are two cables for the LEDs into each headlight arent there? One from the original 10 pin headlight connector and the extra cable that needs connecting to the CE. I assume the original cable is for the side lights and the extra cable on the Kufatec cable is for the extra power for the DRLs?

I think you are refering to a pre-facelift 8p. Mines a 2010, so the Kufac adaptor has 4 cables. 2 for the shutters (which are working) and two for the LEDs which go to CE pins a44 and c26.

Yes that's correct! That's how kufatec makes its adapterss... And although you have them in the right place in the ce module you now still don't have working drls so I would advise getting a multi-meter and checking the pins on the back of the 14pin headlight connector as sometimes they mess up on where the drl wires need to go.

The wires look to be right. I am now suspecting that the LEDs are faulty in the headlight. Can I just put 12v on pin 12 and earth on pin 7 of the headlight to test the LEDs light up?

Ok. The LEDs in one of the headlights are faulty. Looks like they intermittently worked for a very short time, which threw us off a bit.

Thanks guys for your ideas and help.

Want to do this too but looks more complicated than people make out

Its only because one was faulty. If that had been ok, it should have been straight forward. The Kufatec cable turned out to be spot on.

May just buy them and hope for no problems, price doesnt seem over the top

I think you are refering to a pre-facelift 8p. Mines a 2010, so the Kufac adaptor has 4 cables. 2 for the shutters (which are working) and two for the LEDs which go to CE pins a44 and c26.

I know this post was back in 2013 so I don’t expect a response but worth a shot, what cable goes into which pin/connector.

For example DRL left - pin 12 Connector A