2008 A3 TDI 170 (PD) Quattro Remap/DPF delete/EGR blank (+ question about some random stereo issue)

Orson

Reaction score
Good evening all.

I have owned my 2008 A3 S Line 170 TDI Quattro (PD) fro just over a year. It has done 80,000 miles with a very good history or services and general maintenance and I had a new clutch and duel mass fly wheel etc fitted last month (went for a standard one when replacing as the car is completely standard at this time.

I have been looking around and reading various threads about remapping, DPF delete and EGR blanking. Most of the threads seem to be quite old. I am based near Stevenage in Hertfordshire and am looking for advice on the following:

Should I just remap and risk the potential DPF issues and then address them if they arise? Or go for the full map DPF delete and EGR blanking straight off.

Who should I get to do the work and how much should I look to pay. I have spoken to Angel and Shark and both want approximately £550 all in (Inc VAT) to do the lot. Who are the best for this sort of work and I was hoping to get it done for about £450 total is there any chance I will find someone to do it for this- (If so who?)

There seems to have been a long period where most companies wouldn't do the PD 170 remap due to it causing major issues - I presume this was with the DPF? - was this resolved by new software or by people just deleting the DPF?

Its my under standing that you can DELETE the DPF via the engine remap, do you have to physically remove it then too or can you leave it in place? If you do leave it in place what (if anything) doe that do/problems does it cause?

Finally on an unrelated issue - my stereo is driving me mad. I lose the radio signal if i plug my Iphone in to charge it in the cigarette lighter port!!! and its also prone to turning itself off.... WTF is all that about and does anyone know why or how to correct it?

Looking forward your replies.

Peace.

Orson.

Hi buddy I have a 170 pd and looked into this exact same thing for quite a while and then decided against doing anything as I couldn't be bothered with it.

1) if you delete the dpf with the remap then have to physically remove the dpf aswell or atleast take all the insides out and have it welded back up to make it look like it's still there.

2) from what I understand from what I read about leaving the dpf in is that if you do you take the risk of the dpf getting too hot after having a remap so with the potential of catching fire etc( I think I read that on revo website)
This is only a problem with the pd 170's dpf though.
3) if you were to get it remapped then I personally would have the dpf taken out and I think any company that would do it would tell you to do that aswell. You just have to find someone that would mot it for you then.

Hi buddy I have a 170 pd and looked into this exact same thing for quite a while and then decided against doing anything as I couldn't be bothered with it.

1) if you delete the dpf with the remap then have to physically remove the dpf aswell or atleast take all the insides out and have it welded back up to make it look like it's still there.

2) from what I understand from what I read about leaving the dpf in is that if you do you take the risk of the dpf getting too hot after having a remap so with the potential of catching fire etc( I think I read that on revo website)
This is only a problem with the pd 170's dpf though.
3) if you were to get it remapped then I personally would have the dpf taken out and I think any company that would do it would tell you to do that aswell. You just have to find someone that would mot it for you then.

I have been told that on the MOT issue - as long as the outside of the DPF is still there it will pass anywhere. All they are required to do is a "visual check" to see if it's still there.

As for the Remap, I really want to get it done. The power and economy improvements are far to tempting not to.... Plus im keen to ensure I dont have a sudden massive bill to replace a blocked and knackered DPF which at 80,000 must be likely soon.

Have you experienced any thing like my stereo issues!?

Last edited:
I have been told that on the MOT issue - as long as the outside of the DPF is still there it will pass anywhere. All they are required to do is a "visual check" to see if it's still there.

As for the Remap, I really want to get it done. The power and economy improvements are far to tempting not to.... Plus im keen to ensure I dont have a sudden massive bill to replace a blocked and knackered DPF which at 80,000 must be likely soon.

Have you experienced any thing like my stereo issues!?
My standard stereo was a symphony one and every now and then it would just turn itself off but I've got an android one now which is way better and doesn't turn off so it must have been the unit that were dodgy.
As for the cig lighter interfering with the radio I can't help with that, I've got the same problem in my vw transporter work van so when I plug a phone charger in etc it sends the radio stations funny

My standard stereo was a symphony one and every now and then it would just turn itself off but I've got an android one now which is way better and doesn't turn off so it must have been the unit that were dodgy.
As for the cig lighter interfering with the radio I can't help with that, I've got the same problem in my vw transporter work van so when I plug a phone charger in etc it sends the radio stations funny

I know precisely **** all about stereos. What's make/model is the new one? And do you have a picture of it in so i can see what it looks like?

FYI, mines a remapped & dpf removed 170, no issues at MOT at all, two different MOT centres and almost 3yrs so far like that.

FYI, mines a remapped & dpf removed 170, no issues at MOT at all, two different MOT centres and almost 3yrs so far like that.

Where did you have the work done?
How much ? and what sort of gains?
Any regrets?

I have my 170 TDI Quattro remapped & the EGR blanked but kept the DPF but I have the CR engine & no problems yet (been 6 months since remap & still have standard clutch with 122k milage).

Think bill was £500 mark, the previous owner had it done, although I had it re-remapped to reduce the power. I had no traction in the wet with 1st map and it boosted too early. I needed a reliable car plus I like my tyres to last the year!

Think bill was £500 mark, the previous owner had it done, although I had it re-remapped to reduce the power. I had no traction in the wet with 1st map and it boosted too early. I needed a reliable car plus I like my tyres to last the year!
What are you running lower wise now ? I take it yours isn't the Quattro then?

Nope, no quattro and its an Semi-Auto box too. I'm guessing around 190-200bhp now.. Torque is anyone's guess. 0-60 is at worst 7sec or less. It's kept up with some much quicker cars. I'm getting it booked in soon for a rolling road power run soon so I can find out before I sell it.