1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 A3 Radio Problem

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by 530 Dan, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 530 Dan

530 Dan New Member

Hi guys

Newbie here, my wife has a 2008 A3 Sportback 1.9tdi, out or audi warranty in March but has an RAC warranty. The radio goes of when driving after about an hour. I have been told that this is likely to be an ignition control module is this right? Also the RAC will only cover labour at £40 per hour and the only audi dealer in NI is £93 oer hour and they also want a diagnostic charge of at least £80 this will increase if no fault code is present.

My question is does the ignition module need coded? And is this different form the ignition switch? Also is this likely to be the cause?

Your help is much appreciated Audi won't offer goodwill as the car has left the dealer network for servicing was serviced by the non franchised dealer before we bought it.

Oh and another thing, (in for a penny in for a ound) anybody know if you can retrofit the silver roof bars to an A3 sportback
  2. Paullie

Paullie Banana Menace!

3. 530 Dan

530 Dan New Member

Thanks Paula read that one but it seems especially on the tt forums that it should only do this when the key is removed and when I spoke to audi today they confirmed it should stay on when the car is running, Its just the dealer (yes there is only the one) in NI will not even speak to you unless they see a credit or debit card on their table. And with projected cost comming in at £450 plus Vat and the RAC only paying half I am wondering is it somehting that my local garage cansort although they can't code the part if it needs it.
  4. Paullie

Paullie Banana Menace!

That's really poor about Audi's attitude towards your problem Dan :(. I know there are a few members in NI, there might be someone with VCDS who will be able to help you out - for a beer or 2 -by giving your car a scan and seeing which - if any - fault codes it comes up with and this would give you a point in the right direction as to how to fix it, without Audi poking in the dark and charging you for the pleasure. Hope you get it sorted, Buddy. :wub: x
  5. 530 Dan

530 Dan New Member

Thanks Paula, on the bright side its proving easier to run and more reliable than her ST2 focus.:yes: And my company Mondeo is a 4 year old monster just had an inetrcooler and needs a turbo and flywheel, glad I'm not paying for that.
  6. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

If its switching of after an hour then it sounds to me like the unit isnt seeing the cars network properly as of course its turning of to conserve battery, could be a radio or wiring issue, I dont believe its a steering module problem atm, but a scan would potentially help, to try & log onto the radio module 56 1st, if cant connect then thats your issue.

I have a new radio for sale for far less than £450, infact I could sell you vcds to logon to the car & the radio for less than £450.

PM if of use :)