1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 58 S3 Bose

McG37 May 9, 2011

1. LWNY

LWNY Member

Blowse sux but the stock system sux even more.

2. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

Love the Bose in mine, even though i have changed and gone Non OEM on the HU. SQ is perfect when tweaked right from the HU, the vocals and tweeters sound spot on. My only problem is that i wish the sub could handle a better bass line. i mean its good for standard music but when you push it, it just hides away. i know that there was a replacement sub for the 3door 8L bose but i wish that someone could do the same for the 8P SB.

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Amazing how much a symphony & rns both using Bose, sound so different, symphony puts out a fair bit more bass, which tbh imho is too much.

4. Cheese

Cheese Member

I have the BOSE in my S3. Overall the sound quality is pretty good. I have not heard the standard stereo to compare to and it is certainly the best sound system I have heard in any car I have owned.

I have three criticisms, listed in ordered of impact to listening experience (most severe listed first):

(1) You cannot turn-off the auto-EQ background noise compensation and it is implemented terribly. Especially at lower volues when there is a perceptible jump in volume when engine noise increases or lowering in volume when you pull up at a junction or ambient/engine noise drops quickly. I have had the car in to Audi to look at - their engineer can hear the the changes in volume that I report but the company line seems to be to assert that it is a feature. This is true, but it is a feature that has been implemented in a p**s poor manner.
    (2) It is too forward and harsh sounding for a lot of modern music when playing it at a reasonable volume. I am not sure if there is a lift in the EQ curve in the midrange, but it is certainly not as nice to listen to as my stereo at home (which is certainly not considered a laid-back sound). This is a lot to do with the quality recordings though - older music in general sounds great.
    (3) Bass isn't tight enough and doesn't go low enough (again, compared to a high-end full-range home stereo system).

5. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

Lost that as soon as i went to Pioneer :p
    lost that too with pioneer as the EQ is fully customisable :moa:

(3) Bass isn't tight enough and doesn't go low enough (again, compared to a high-end full-range home stereo system).[/QUOTE]
    My main issue with bose! :banghead:

Need to get that bass down low

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  6. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

As I said before, BOSE is one of my fav options with the car.

7. jsh

jsh Member

hmmm fine critique! :rolleyes:

Cheese likes this.
  8. LWNY

LWNY Member

Its a one phrase critique from someone using Meridian gears for home use. Maybe over in Europe, nobody knows who Blose is, but over in 'merica, we know it is a snake oil company.