2008 58 S3 Bose

Blowse sux but the stock system sux even more.

Love the Bose in mine, even though i have changed and gone Non OEM on the HU. SQ is perfect when tweaked right from the HU, the vocals and tweeters sound spot on. My only problem is that i wish the sub could handle a better bass line. i mean its good for standard music but when you push it, it just hides away. i know that there was a replacement sub for the 3door 8L bose but i wish that someone could do the same for the 8P SB.

Amazing how much a symphony & rns both using Bose, sound so different, symphony puts out a fair bit more bass, which tbh imho is too much.

I have the BOSE in my S3. Overall the sound quality is pretty good. I have not heard the standard stereo to compare to and it is certainly the best sound system I have heard in any car I have owned.

I have three criticisms, listed in ordered of impact to listening experience (most severe listed first):

(1) You cannot turn-off the auto-EQ background noise compensation and it is implemented terribly. Especially at lower volues when there is a perceptible jump in volume when engine noise increases or lowering in volume when you pull up at a junction or ambient/engine noise drops quickly. I have had the car in to Audi to look at - their engineer can hear the the changes in volume that I report but the company line seems to be to assert that it is a feature. This is true, but it is a feature that has been implemented in a p**s poor manner.
(2) It is too forward and harsh sounding for a lot of modern music when playing it at a reasonable volume. I am not sure if there is a lift in the EQ curve in the midrange, but it is certainly not as nice to listen to as my stereo at home (which is certainly not considered a laid-back sound). This is a lot to do with the quality recordings though - older music in general sounds great.
(3) Bass isn't tight enough and doesn't go low enough (again, compared to a high-end full-range home stereo system).

(1) You cannot turn-off the auto-EQ background noise compensation and it is implemented terribly. Especially at lower volues when there is a perceptible jump in volume when engine noise increases or lowering in volume when you pull up at a junction or ambient/engine noise drops quickly. I have had the car in to Audi to look at - their engineer can hear the the changes in volume that I report but the company line seems to be to assert that it is a feature. This is true, but it is a feature that has been implemented in a p**s poor manner.

Lost that as soon as i went to Pioneer :p
(2) It is too forward and harsh sounding for a lot of modern music when playing it at a reasonable volume. I am not sure if there is a lift in the EQ curve in the midrange, but it is certainly not as nice to listen to as my stereo at home (which is certainly not considered a laid-back sound). This is a lot to do with the quality recordings though - older music in general sounds great.
lost that too with pioneer as the EQ is fully customisable :moa:

(3) Bass isn't tight enough and doesn't go low enough (again, compared to a high-end full-range home stereo system).[/QUOTE]
My main issue with bose! :banghead:

Need to get that bass down low

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm fine critique! :rolleyes:
Its a one phrase critique from someone using Meridian gears for home use. Maybe over in Europe, nobody knows who Blose is, but over in 'merica, we know it is a snake oil company.