2007 A6 2.0tdi Avant Exhaust

Steve.b

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently been having a few problems with the exhaust on my A6, when the engine idles the left hand exhaust has a really loud metallic rattle. I took it to a garage who said it sounds like the baffles in my left had back box had gone so it needs replacing, but they said its a dealer only part.

I've been looking online to see if I can get a replacement back box but they are few and far between, I have seen "performance" ones on ebay but they look a completely different shape to the current ones I have, will these still fit? (the performance ones are cylinder shape, mine if flat and an odd shape).

Anyone else had problems with their back box? or have any suggestions that doesn't cost the earth?
My current back box looks like this:
http://images.matchapart.com/breakerpro/1272/standard/1272-141215-141122-1-PTIMG.jpg

The ones I have been looking at look like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL....0+TDI&hash=item2841346f39:g:Mc0AAOSwxu1ZzhNw

Thanks,
Steve

I had a thought of replacing my back boxes for something slightly lauder, more performance but stumbled upon the same dilemma.
I'm not sure if the oval performance boxes would've fit right in the spot there. Plus, to be even, you would need two of them.

What I would do, if were you, is to gut them. Put a straight pipe in them.
As you already have a problem with one, cut it open from the top once dropped off the car and connect entrance with exit pipe inside. Few welds, insulating wool to quiet it down a bit, if you want and weld it back together. It will look from the bottom like nothing has been touched and will give you nice sound also. Not to mention slightly better engine/car performance.

Don't know how good you are with angle grinder and welding but this shouldn't be more expensive than oem part or two of the performance boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id have to get someone else to do it for me if I wanted them gutting. I don't mind replacing both as they seem pretty cheap anyway. I've had my DPF done and had it remapped so the extra power isn't really important, I just want to get rid of the annoying rattle when I'm stopped at lights

With most Audi exhaust systems, it's a dealer only part which means Megabucks.
Both my Audi's have had to exhaust repairs.
1st one, the centre silencer cracked. Audi part only , £600. Had a bespoke full stainless system made for £400.
2nd one, front flexi split. Audi part £1100. I purchased a stainless flexi off eBay for £30 and had a garage weld it in for another £150.
Ball's in your court.

Ive seen a few exhausts on eBay lately, does anyone know if the exhausts from other C6 will fit my 2.0tdi Avant? Are the saloon and avant exhausts the same? and will an exhaust from a 2.7 or 3.0 fit my 2.0?