2006 A3 sportback Soft touch boot handle not working

bigchewie

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a returning A3 owner, recently got a 2006 2.0 FSi, S-line sportback quattro, and previously had a 2004 3.2 3dr, with an m3 inbetween, but need a 5 door as got a baby now.

So My boot release will not open on the tailgate soft tocuh handle, but it will open on the keyfob and through the internal emergency release, I pulled off the internal trim and no signs of water ingress and the washer hose is intact, though i never function tested with the trim remeoved. My question is the mircoswitch that is listed on the new units is that part of the handle assy, or part of the lock, i.e. if I was to go ahead and purchase this cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140505364512 for example would it help solve my issues.

I have had no problems with the boot close sensor, or with the central locking and the rear wiper appears to work. Any ideas suggestions or fixes are appreciated.

Had the same problem with my old A3. It would only work about 1 in 20 times. I took it all apart and tested all the parts separately and they all seemed to work on their own. I gave up in the end and just used the button on the fob.

Sorry, I know that wasn't any help, but at least now you don't feel alone in your problem. :friends:

Have you tried double-unlock either from the key or interior lock\unlock switch?

IIRC there's also a setting adjustment in VCDS, but that may be for auto-locking at speed.

I have tried the double push of the fob and block from the drivers door, which work as should apart from the boot lid. Strangely though when i stop the car and switch off ignition after driving the doors don't unlock, I need to unlock with the key fob or drivers door button.

When you stripped out the parts was the tailgate handle a pain to remove or pretty straightforward? Reckon wheni get a half hour I'll pull it apart again.

I have noticed the build quality on the 2006 car appears poorer than 2004 car I previously had, I.e. colour well grey wearing off buttons and things like that. And the 2004 car had almost double the mileage

Auto-unlock for all doors when you switch off is also something enabled in VCDS.

Have a chat with member NHN (Nigel) he knows more than most here regarding VCDS programming. ;)

Last edited:
I have tried the double push of the fob and block from the drivers door, which work as should apart from the boot lid. Strangely though when i stop the car and switch off ignition after driving the doors don't unlock, I need to unlock with the key fob or drivers door button.

When you stripped out the parts was the tailgate handle a pain to remove or pretty straightforward? Reckon wheni get a half hour I'll pull it apart again.

I though that about the passenger doors not always opening when I pull the key out/open the drivers door, but then I realised it was dependant on how I'd unlocked it to start with. What I mean is that if you press once and unlock the car then go for a drive, when you stop and take the key out/open the drivers door it'll only unlock the drivers door. If you did the double press to start with, when you remove the key/open the door then it'll open all the other doors. I'm not sure if that's what you meant though?

The tailgate wasn't too bad to get apart, it's just the clips that hold the tailgate panel on are quite strong and require a fair amount of courage as you think you're going to break them. I can't remember the steps for removal now, it was on my last car that I did it.

Cheers for the info, I found the coding required for VCDS, and i have a friend who can enable the auto unlock. I know what you mean about the trim, it's easier to get off on the sport back as you can take off the light access panels, first. And grip and pull easier. E handle looks awkward to get out, but will give it a bash.

Dannb just reread your message will need to try out the singles lock drive then double unlock drive and see if that works, I would have thought I have done that as noticed it when going a journey and loading / unloading babyseat

seems like its an intermittent fault had it working well the other day, still not had a chance to pull it all apart