1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 A3 Sportback High / 3rd / Third Brake Light

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by bobsherunkle, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bobsherunkle

bobsherunkle New Member

[Jun 25, 2011]
    Hi guys,

I've trawled the web for a definitive answer to this but am struggling.

I have a 2006 A3 TDI Sportback (5dr).

One of the bulbs / LEDs in the high / third brake light has gone, not uncommon.

I've taken the boot trim out and managed to get the brake light unit out and unplugged it.

Now lies the problem. Every other forum/post I've read says it's as simple as then replacing the bulbs / LEDs.

However, mine looks like a sealed unit and I'm a bit reluctant to start trying to open it up to get to the bulbs, in fear of breaking it!

Am I going mad and is it easy to get open, or is it in fact sealed?

Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 31, 2014]

3. bobsherunkle

bobsherunkle New Member

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jun 26, 2011]
    Its a sealed unit & etka shows no bulbs, so its an led thats gone, new units are approx £37, just get another as time wasted messing with is pointless tbh, 2yr warranty, job done.

I can get 1 & send to you if interested.
  5. danb986

danb986 In awe of VCDS

[Jun 26, 2011]
    I've had a look at the one I removed from my Sportback when I fitted the S-Line spoiler and I'd say it's sealed. I thought they were LED's anyway, as they light up a fraction quicker than the ones in the light clusters.
    If it's any use to you, then your welcome to have my old one. It's in perfect working order and I don't need it now.
    If you get it at the right angle then you can see a couple of lines in the light that look like a crack in the plastic, although you can't feel anything there. You can't notice it when it's on the car and I only found out they were there when I took it off.
    It's up to you, if you do want it then PM your address and I'll post it to you.
  6. danb986

danb986 In awe of VCDS

[Jun 26, 2011]
    Sorry Nigel, you posted that while I was typing. I didn't mean to try and do you out of a sale.
  7. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jun 26, 2011]
    Hey no worries fella, if you can help him for free, then all the better IMHO :)