2006 A3 Sportback, Alpine + Garmin aftermarket system fitted...

cooltempo

Heavy DERV clatter
Reaction score
Website
www.movolans.com
Hi all...

so this is my first real post and thought I'd start with a bit of a success story on the ICE front. I recently replaced the Chorus II head unit in my 2006 A3 Sportback with an Alpine IDA-X305 and then added the KCE-400bt Parrot bluetooth unit. I have also hardwired my Garmin sat nav and mounted it with a custom mount from the US.

Just thought that I might be able to provide some insight to those doing a similar job. I'm really new to this and know I had to do a lot of searching to find the info I needed to complete the whole thing.

After some initial firmware and power issues the whole set up is working nicely and I'm pretty happy with it. I am using an Iphone 3GS 16gb for bluetooth calls and occasional streaming and a 6th gen Ipod Classic 80gb for USB audio duties. You can see it below the air con controller.

Anyway there are some pics below (the lighting on the head unit came out pretty pink and the plastics match a lot better in the flesh... Also took some pics in the dark to show the match with the OEM lighting.

I'm really just a beginner but if anyone has any questions about the installation I'll be more than happy to help ;)

Mo

P1020810.jpg

P1020811.jpg

P1020812.jpg

P1020813.jpg

P1020816.jpg

P1020817.jpg

P1020818.jpg

P1020819.jpg

Wow, im planning on doing almost exactly this, except my Chorus is a double din unit.
Same Alpine etc though.

How hard was fitting? Not had a go at it before and feeling a little nervous...

And how are you getting on with the new unit?

Hi there mate... the fitting really wasn't too bad. When i started I really didn't know what I was doing but worked with audio a lot and did plenty of reading. Getting a good grasp of what colour wires do what is the key, and understanding the difference between permanent and switched live.

Make sure you have the right wiring harness and you can either crimp or solder all your connections before you fit everything. I really took my time doing this. I initially had problems with the wiring as Audi switch their live and switched lives, so the HU was losing its settings and was probably draining my battery ! with them the right way around everything worked perfectly.

Fitting the bluetooth box was about the same level of difficulty but again knowing the wiring and taking my time made it run smoothly. Get a decent soldering iron or crimping kit too!

Running wires is a bit tricky but I have only really run one wire to the fuse box as a shared switched live and I also ran the usb cable into the compartment below the air con, not sure you'll have room if your double din but you might? you also have to run the mic cable up to the steering wheel column. Its all a bit fiddly but nothing that can't be done by the novice. I was nervous when I started but give it a go, theres not a huge amount that can go wrong, you might get some head scratching moments but its great when your done.

And as for the head unit, Im loving it. works flawlessly and sounds great even with the stock non bose speakers and sub. easily loud enough and handles my 40gb library very quickly. The bluetooth took some wrestling with to get working perfectly, had to update the firmware a few times to get it to pair with my iphone every time but that could be an apple thing as opposed to an Alpine / Parrot issue.

If you give it a go I'll be happy to help on here if you hit any issues. Will let you know how I got past them.

Mo

Wow... Sounds like a lot of fiddling.
To confirm all I wanted to do was fit the headunit (not the bluetooth or sat nav) but it all sounds a little complicated haha

Really pleased youre enjoying the headunit though - Nice to hear!!