1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 A4 S-LINE - AKOYA SILVER

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jr001, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jr001

jr001 Member

[Apr 28, 2009]
    I finally got a couple of days to give my car a proper going-over. The weather held out over the weekend with only a couple of minor rain breaks. I didn’t have time to try and get before pics of swirls on silver in the daylight – not the easiest thing to do.

Megs polishing pad and Menzerna 3.02 removed a fair bit of swirling but 3M Fast Cut Plus on the Megs pad was just the ticket. Every part of the car was cut with this combo under moderate pressure and then given a good bit of refinement with Menzerna 85RD on a 3M finishing pad with no extra hand pressure.

The 85RD produced a superior and noticeable heightening of the gloss to the silver. I don’t see any point in not finishing with 85RD – silver needs that little bit of extra encouragement for the clearcoat to shine above the colour itself.

The result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pleased with the finish and glad I got to put the time into it. Now I just have to look to get some extra layers of the Werkstat on over the next couple of months.

Then out for some other photos in poor light:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments and questions welcome.:thumb:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Apr 29, 2009]
    ahha! I recognise this car! ;)

Looks good chap;
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 29, 2009]
    Looks very nice:icon_thumright:

I imagine silver is a very difficult colour to get a good depth of shine to?
  5. jr001

jr001 Member

[Apr 30, 2009]
    Yip! With the silver paint throwing so much of the light back at you, the gloss and wetness of the clearcoat is often obscured. However, when the light is not directly on the car, it looks as though blades of light go from front to back with every s-line feature of the body. Oh, and the flakes of 'Akoya' really give a cracking subtlety to it. And today under the heavy clouds after a foaming, it looked like the arctic grey version. It still has its own wee surprises to it, just like the Ming Blue had before it.:thumbsup:
  6. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 30, 2009]
    Looks lovely mate.

I'm trying to muster up some energy to get mine done... Which is proving difficult at the moment! :haha:
  7. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[May 4, 2009]
    Nice work as always John; just another half dozen coats to get on now then lol! Seriously though, as you know, the more coats of Trigger you get on, the more mental the finish becomes... :icon_thumright: