2005 A3 Cluster changed to DIS but now have ABS Coding issue

piehole1983

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've just fitted a DIS cluster to my 2005 Sportback as it didnt have one. Everything is working fine apart from an issue that has cropped up. In the ABS module I get the fault 01044 Incorrect coding and 008 Implausible signal. The old cluster coding was 0004443 and the new was 0004413. I changed the new cluster to 0004443 thinking that might be some part of the issue but it still remains.

I had read somewhere that a full ESP test may need to be initiated in VCDS? Can anyone shed any light on this one?

I'd also like to disable brake pad warnings and wash fluid warnings as the car is not fitted with the hardware for them.

Tried the ESP test but it didn't make any difference at all. There must be some sort of compatibility issue between the ABS module and the cluster. I gave up for today and reinstalled the old cluster, all faults cleared and everything is back to normal.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

I'm thinking of swapping my cluster for a facelift one so I were reading up on this last week on here. I stumbled across a thread on here that had about 20 pages all about it but can't remember where I found it and it said something about the exact same problem that you've got after fitting a new cluster about esp and abs I think it were. Keep searching and you should find it, I think it might have been under the FAQ section but not sure.

I read that very same post too but I'm ****** if I can find it again. I think it was NHN on here that knew what to do......

Make sure you have plenty of time on you hands to do this, not for the faint hearted!

I have the keys, mileage, component security data all swapped over already but this ABS fault will not go away. As far as I can tell everything is coded properly. I did read something before about this but cant find it anywhere!

Anyone any ideas on this one? There are no faults present in VCDS other than this one. It's been suggested that the cluster and ABS/ESP controller are incompatible. I suppose it's a possibility but how likely can it be?

So, after asking around on other forums it seems my old MK60 ABS pump is no good for the DIS cluster. I've managed to get a MK60EC1 pump, long code version for £25 delivered.

Does anyone know what challenges I'll face when fitting this unit? As far as I can tell the plug is the same but the pin locations are possibly different. I can check that with my wiring diagrams though. I've also seen that the brake pipe fittings may be different M10-M12 and vice versa.