1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 S4 replacement engine?

Simon S4 Feb 25, 2011

1. Simon S4

Simon S4 Member

What is the cost of a replacement engine for a 2004 S4 (the 4.2 V8)? Have got a nasty rattle and am just looking at diiferent scenarios, including worst case..

Thx

2. kite

kite Member VCDS Map User

The V8 is known to suffer a start up rattle due to the chain tensioner, you may not need a complete engine..

3. Simon S4

Simon S4 Member

Hi kite, it isnt a start up rattle, it is a rattle which an engineer at my garage picked up as they tested the engine oil pressure at 2000 rpm... and the pressure came out quite low at 2 bar...he didn't feel he could test at 3500 rpm as this could cause more damage... so thats why i am enquiring about worst case scenario... ;-(

4. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

iv see them around for 155 / 2k
    then ftting and parts it could need doing at same time as it wont have any history
    cant your man sort the problem without replaceing the engine ?
    could just be the pump needs replaceing

5. Simon S4

Simon S4 Member

Yes, the man actually found a way - drained oil, cleansed/flushed engine, changed oil filter, put in new oil and the pressure is normal... fingers crossed that's 'all' it was... sounds like a blockage somewhere - is this common on 'older' cars? or a sign that the car has been used for short journeys? or oil hasn't been chaged often enough? not sure...

6. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

keep an eye on it if it was blocked it will block again
    and a new pick up pipe aint gona cost that much

7. Simon S4

Simon S4 Member

thanks for tip bez101 - how much approx? and what exactly do i have to ask for ('new pick up pipe'?)?