2004 Audi A4 1.8T Sport Convertible *P2101* DTC CODE

MILF

Reaction score
I was with a few mates yesterday and we were just planning to go for a drive. As I set off, I felt a little jerk and the EPC light and traction control light illuminated for a couple of seconds. I didn't think too much of it at the time as it only lasted a few seconds.

Now almost an hour later, the 'EPC' light and traction light illuminated and this time, I was struggling to do 30mph. It felt like there was no boost, just engine power. So I turned the car off and re-started it which cleared the fault to my knowledge. The turbo was back again. Behold, the boost returned...however not for long! The lights 'EPC' and traction control light illuminated again and I felt the revs were fluctuating just above 1k rpm. The front end was kind of shaking during the time, the 'EPC' light was illuminated.

Now I was really irritated, so I continued to drive home about 2miles and then the engine management light appeared. I was really struggling to build up speed. My foot was literally buried on the accelerator but the car wasn't building any boost regardless. Suddenly, the engine management light appeared. I was kind of relieved at this point as atleast I can now read the codes and see what I was against.

So story short, I called the AA and the patrol found one stored code which was the P2101. Now I've done some research on google and most people say it's because of the cold weather. I don't get it? I've posted on here, hoping someone in the UK may have come across the same issue and I'd like to know what they have done to rectify the issue.

Kind regards

Yeah, can't hurt it to try for nothing. By VCDS is the best way but there is a way without vcds I believe.

Something along the lines of:

Open bonnet.
Open drivers door.
Turn ignition on.
Leave for 3 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH ANY PEDALS. (You should hear clicking noises from the TB if it's working)
Turn off ignition.
Start car.

Yeah, can't hurt it to try for nothing. By VCDS is the best way but there is a way without vcds I believe.

Something along the lines of:

Open bonnet.
Open drivers door.
Turn ignition on.
Leave for 3 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH ANY PEDALS. (You should hear clicking noises from the TB if it's working)
Turn off ignition.
Start car.

Just tried it Dan and unfortunately, no clicks from the TB so I'm guessing the flaps or something inside as mentioned in the link you've given me, is broken.

Can you see the TB butterfly open up when you rev the engine?

If not it could need to be removed and cleaned out due to being stuck.......had a similar issue on the wifes Golf FSI and this helped but ended up being a compression and coked up head issue and needed a rebuild/clean

Check to see if the TB moves with air box off of course and get a compression test done