2004 3.2 A3 Quattro, 3 Beeps when Starting

paulclaude

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here, hopefully you can help me out. After not having a car for a few years due to saving for my own place, i've picked up an 04 A3 3.2 Quattro, 8P. Had several VW Mk2 GTI's in the past, but decided to go for something a bit more refined this time round. Still getting a feel for it, but very pleased with the car so far. However, I have a slight "niggle" with it. When starting sometimes - usually from cold, I get 3 beeps from the dash area. At first I thought this was when the temp was low and it showed the frost symbol, but I've noticed it has been doing it when the temperature is higher too. I get no flashing symbols or lights on the display that I can see. I've been reading that other models sometimes have this issue when the alarm batteries are low? Anyone experienced a similar problem? Thanks!

Think it's your alarm battery back up warning you failing/flat get a scan carried out with vcds for fault codes I have vcds but am in Aberdeen perhaps someone local can assist for beer tokens.

Thanks chillout, from reading online, that's pretty much what I thought myself. What exactly is VCDS? I'm actually in Aberdeen at the moment myself! Any idea how easy/hard it is to replace?

Thanks chillout, from reading online, that's pretty much what I thought myself. What exactly is VCDS? I'm actually in Aberdeen at the moment myself! Any idea how easy/hard it is to replace?

vcds is a diagnostics cable and program for vag cars it costs around £280 how long are you in Aberdeen for or do you live near I have googled it and the battery can be replaced if you are handy with a soldering iron you can get battery's from places like rs or maplins I think it is located under the left hand panel in the boot but don't start ripping your car to pieces yet not a 100% sure on location.

I see, found out via a quick Google, looks a handy tool to have indeed. I should be here all weekend, but on standby for going offshore at the moment. Found a guide for the Mk1 S3 that indeed says it is in the boot. Soldering wouldn't be an issue. Would be nice to confirm it's that though like you say, before ripping things apart! Has anyone else with an 8P had this problem, and located the battery unit?

I see, found out via a quick Google, looks a handy tool to have indeed. I should be here all weekend, but on standby for going offshore at the moment. Found a guide for the Mk1 S3 that indeed says it is in the boot. Soldering wouldn't be an issue. Would be nice to confirm it's that though like you say, before ripping things apart! Has anyone else with an 8P had this problem, and located the battery unit?

I could try and scan it but this weekend is a bit busy

Thanks Chillout. I may be here after the weekend so if you are available it would be great if you could scan it for a pack of beer or something?

I will be around Dyce on Monday or Tuesday morning so if you pm me your mobile no I will give you a shout if not i am in Dyce so for work a lot so meet you on your return to dry land or something ?

Well thanks, that is good of you. I'll get my mobile number sent. Not sure I could manage through the day mon/tues as I have to report to the office, but may be able to arrange something.