1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 S3 water pump ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mikes3, Mar 10, 2010.

1. mikes3

mikes3 Member

[Mar 10, 2010]
    Hi all.

Have a suspected problem with what looks like a water pump - its located at the front of the engine bay at the top, and has 2 large water pipes connected to it. When I turn off the engine, the pump keeps on running - I left my car in my garage for the weekend and it drained the battery.

Anyone have any light they could shed on this ? - Sorry to be so vague.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 10, 2010]
    Its the after run pump... its designed to run on for several minutes after the engine has been turned off.

I would get the car checked for fault codes and get your battery tested.

The pump should stop of its own accord but not sure if its the ECU that controls it or another black box... a scan for fault codes should tell you if there is a problem with one of these components

<tuffty/>
  4. RobW

RobW Run Rob Run

[Mar 10, 2010]
    I had a similar worry a few days ago. Was concerned about the coolant run-on pump only to find that it lasts for 5-10 minutes before switching off automatically. Worthwhile checking that it does not run longer than this as when running it draws about 4 amps which is enough to drain the battery in a few days.

You can check the battery condition wth the "magic eye" on the top. Green is good, yellow or black means the electolyte is running out.
    In addition, Audi recommend a new battery every 6 years.

If it is the battery, you need a 096 type. I bought a VARTA Silver one. There is a lower spec one (VARTA Blue) which will also do the trick. Both provide a better specification than standard Audi one.