1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 S3 - Haldex issue?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by cammage08, Sep 12, 2013.

1. cammage08

cammage08 Member

[Sep 12, 2013]
    Hi, Im reasonable new to the scene, previously owned a Mk1 Leon cupra. I purchased myself a late 03 S3 with 133k on the clock for £3250 with a PSI remap on. Excellent condition and spec, had a few tiny things that i wasnt happy with but ive soon sorted them over the 2 months ive owned it. My main issue now is the vibration im getting when accelerating through the seat/whole car when accelerating. It happens when accelerating hard 70++ in 5th and 6th and up through the gears when accelerating away hard... This is when im guessing the haldex is operating and this causing my vibration? Could it be a daft out of balance rear wheels? Ive had new tyres on the front which didnt change anything. Is there anything specific i should be checking? Other than that everything seems to function fine, goes like a rocket (a vibrating one at that) and is a dream.

Any help at all would be great.

Thanks

cammage08
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

[Sep 12, 2013]
    hadlex engages only when the steering angle is plus 12 degrees left or right or if it senses the front wheels are slipping i think so unlikely... maybe the driveshaft/propshaft hitting the exhaust or summit!? odd that its only over 70 when ur on a racetrack of course!-)
  4. Vex182

Vex182 Guess what I drive...

[Sep 12, 2013]
    The haldex is will only kick in when it senses wheel spin, it can't predict on these first edition models. It will be running at 70 but only a very small amount of drag from the clutch pack, hence why it has to be disconnected when on a 2wd rolling road. The issue you have does not sound like haldex issues at all, possibly the rear diff or suspension issues. Maybe track rod ends or lower ball joints?
  5. Vorshprungdork

Vorshprungdork Active Member

[Sep 12, 2013]
    Probably teh rear propshaft damper, there is a thread on here already about it http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-quattro-load-vibrating-2-thousands-revs.html
    Have a read and see if it sounds like the same thing, if so tehy are about £230 fraom Audi but some dealers want to sell you a whole propshaft for about £1000. I am trying to source one just now for my 05 TDI quattro outwith the dealer network but it's not proving easy. If I get something I will post up details on teh thread above, so keep an eye out :)
  6. cammage08

cammage08 Member

[Sep 12, 2013]
    Thanks that would be great. Is it possible a thrown Rear wheel weight could cause a vibration to be felt through my seat? And yes of course the 70+ is on private roads/race tracks etc :)
  7. Vex182

[Sep 12, 2013]
    The rear wheel bearing could do yeh, it would have to be wet bad though. Normally they become noisey on corners. The 2004 onwards haldex is different from ours too.
  8. Big Al

Big Al A4 B7 bits for sale!!

[Sep 12, 2013]
  9. cammage08

cammage08 Member

[Sep 18, 2013]
    So I've had the car into Audi and its actually a misfire that I'm experiencing... Any ideas? They've apparently tried plugs and coil packs but no change?? I know my thermostat is stuck open and due for changing?
  10. Vex182

[Sep 19, 2013]
    It sounds like the coil pack loom then, a few people have had to replace them on here before, the heat cycles breaks down the cables casing over time.
  11. phil miller

phil miller Active Member

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Get the thermostat changed asap, as if its running cold it will over fuel like a ****er, and as above replace the loom and that will prob cure it dude
  12. cammage08

cammage08 Member

[Nov 10, 2013]
    Not long after i got the car back from audi i gave the car a once over myself..... To find.... A bolt hanging from the propshaft where it joins the drive unit behind the engine!! I quickly contacted audi to explain my findings only to be told that this couldnt be my problem as its "deffinately a missfire". The lady who i spoke to said she would confirm it with the technician who had checked my car and get back to me. To me it seemed a little too obvious, a loose bolt on something that spins around is going to create a vibration im sure. So i sourced a replacement, had to travel to sheffield audi to collect the £1.74 bolt and replace it. The lady phoned back and confirmed i had an engine missfire!! Hmmmm So the bolt was changed by me, 4 hours in total and the vibration had gone. A snotty email was sent to Audi and a refund was soon on its way.....
  13. cammage08

cammage08 Member

[Nov 10, 2013]
    Spot the loose bolt...

Attached Files:

14. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 10, 2013]
    Sadly I am not surprised a dealer hasn't picked up on this... good work on spotting the bolt though...

<tuffty/>
  15. Vorshprungdork

[Nov 11, 2013]
    Ahhem! My post 12th Sept ^^ not the damper obviously but I was in the right area was I not?
    I need a new username, clearly I am not an Audi Dork any more, at least no more than the average Audi Dealer at any rate :)
  16. cammage08

cammage08 Member

[Nov 11, 2013]
    Haha, Yep you was deffinately on the right path. I just carnt believe the cheek of them. They even wanted to investigate the supposed missfire further at an extra £200+ !! The car doesn't have a missfire....
  17. Vorshprungdork

[Nov 15, 2013]
    Dealers have it in their power to completely ruin the ownership experience of any good car and somewhat surprisingly do so on a regular basis. Makes me wonder waht all the fuss is abiout full service history and all that, I'd much more prefer to know someone competent actually did the work :)
    Good luck with geting yours fixed, should be an easy one now!