2003 Audi A4 Avant - Boot Not Unlocking - Solenoid Removal

Trigstar

Reaction score
Evening All,

I have a problem. Basically when I use either the main unlock or just the boot unlock on the key fob I can hear movement but can't lift the boot. This, in fairness, has gradually gotten worse. At first I could open the boot, then occassional it would not fully dis-engage. Now it will rarely open the boot at all.

I have tried pulling all the boot trim out (removed screws, pulled out the clips) but still not been able to fully remove the bottom trim from below the rear window. I have however, been able to see the metal rod moving to the left quite freely when I use the boot lift press pad. I think the problem is that it is not moving to the left enough and therefore not fully releasing the boot. I am sure the lock isn't seized and I can open manually with the key and I have lucbricated it with loads of WD40.

My question is how do I fully remove the boot trim (bottom part and not all the trim around the top of the rear window) and also is the problem def with the Solenoid due to the fact it is working, although not enough?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Just replaced the boot lock solenoid on my Avant had exactly the same problem, could hear and see the solenoid working. I replaced the solenoid with a new on and it now works a treat.
To remove the boot trim is fairly straight forward, i managed to replace the solenoid without having to fully remove the trim. I just undid the 4 x screws in the bottom of the trim, 2 of which are behind the warning triangle compartment and just pulled it down which gave plenty of access to the boot solenoid, just 3 screws holding the solenoid in place and then un-clip the rod at the boot lock.
If you want to fully remove the bottom trim once you have taken the screws out then the are just 2 metal clips holding the trim in place an it requires a sharp tug to remove them.

Your a diamond....

Thought I might be able to get to it but could not see much advice online.

How do you unclip to rod at the boot lock - Is there a knack?

Also got to replace the coolant temp sensor tomorrow so loads of fun!!!