2003 A4 1.9 tdi whirring noise when turning right?

dazzyjeff

Reaction score
Hello all, I hate the first post to be a question but here it goes?!
Just recently bought a 2003 A4 Avant 1.9 tdi (118k) and have a strange intermittent whirring noise when turning right? Normally between 30-50mph? I was wondering what the symptoms are for a damaged driveshaft? I dont know (hoping) if it will be a wheel bearing or a cv joint but you always think the worst right!?!?
Any advice appreciated, cheers.....

I have a similar noise from mine. Gonna swap the wheels about. Maybe a tyre??

I havent swapped the wheels round yet? I hoping its the wheel bearing, any idea for cost of parts and labour? Any idea how to diagnose which side?

hi mate . to check if its the wheel bearing jack the front up place your hands at 9 and 3 o clock give it a wiggle to check for excesive play in the bearing then spin the wheel it should be silky smooth when turning if there is the slightest roughness in the bearing thats your problem

If it makes a noise when turning right it'll be the passenger side bearing and vice a verser.

My mechanic couldn't feel no movement when checking my bearing but I had it changed anyway which was the right choice.

Parts and labour cost me £100 smack on.

Nice one yendall24 and krisavant, I'll have a good look at it tomorrow then after i've done the thermostat and cleaned the egr and manifold?!!? Then hopefully its all together, I bought this in thinking I wouldn't have to do anything to an Audi, but since looking round the forum I've got a list as long as arm of bits I want to do!!?? Nice to keep on top of it all though, thanks again.....