2003 A3 SE TDI Auto sudden loss of power at speed from newbee Audi owner

CNix

Reaction score
I've driven crappy cars for years and finally treated myself to a lovely 2003 A3 TDI Auto 1968CC 3 door with only 53K on the clock - lovely car!
Been driving it around for 1 month just fine.
Today, at speed on the motorway, I had a sudden loss of power. Couldn't get it over 60mph or 4,000 revs, or to any lower gear than 4th. No amount of accelerator pedal pressure made any difference to the car.
When I stopped at the next service station, turned off the ignition then turned it back on again, all was fine until I reached 70mph (usual power, usual response etc) then the problem returned.
When I finally got to the North Circular Road, the car was fine and lovely and responsive so long as I kept below 60mph. Over 60mph and the car lost all power again.

At no point did any warning lights come on, any odd noises or any fumes. However, at low speeds, I noticed the MPG was reading upto 200MPG. Does that help isolate the fault?

I am completely new to this forum and to the joys of owning a lovely car. I am also broke (having just bought this baby). Don't want to just walk into an Audi service area without some sort of knowledge as to what the fault may be and how much I may be expected to pay for it.

I thought I'd ask here as you guys know what you're talking about and I don't! Any suggestions???

HELP!!!

With thanks

Sounds like its going into limp mode you need to get it on a computer...
And welcome by the way....:thumbsup:
I dont think there are many deisel guys here but we will help if we can....it is a old shape 8L?

s3dave,
Thanks for your reply. How do I get it onto a computer? (Did I mention I'm a newbee!) And if it's going into "limp mode", why is it fine if I don't go over 60? I've read it could perhaps be the "Mass Air Flow" sensor as that seems to give similar symptoms. What on earth is that and are they expensive to replace/repair?
And hmm, is it an old shape 8L...er, I've no idea! Oh yes, that's 'cos I'm now an embarrassed (and clearly clueless) newbee! OK, I'll go and boil my head for being so clueless.
But seriously, I'd love some kind of pointer here...I just don't want to wander into an Audi Service Garage without some sort of a clue as to what may be the source of the problem just so I can be forewarned.
Any ideas?

This is the car:

Audi-photo.jpg

Thats an 8p mate the newer shape but try and get it on VAGCOM or VCDS and scan it for error codes

Ah, to be in the company of experts!
Thanks, Speedy Steve.
OK, how do I get it VAGCOM or VCDS (I'm guessing that this is some sort of computer interrogation of the car, right?). Is there any cheaper alternative to just wandering into an Audi Service centre with the car and a dumb expression on my face?

OK, will change to the 8L chassis forum.
Thanks again for all your help!

Godammit! I am officially a klutz when it comes to cars... 8P, 8P, must remember it's an 8P car!!!