1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 1.9 TDi avant SE dampers

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by tbs, Dec 1, 2012.

1. tbs

tbs Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    I've just bought this car and on b roads it does tend to bob up more on undulations than I would think normal. Its not bouncing but the rebound seems a bit too much. Whilst I realise its no sports set up riding quite high compared to a sport would new dampers sort this in your opinion and whilst I would like B6 bilsteins I really cant afford them so what cheaper option would suit this SE set up and give me a more composed ride.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 1, 2012]
    How many miles has the car done?

Eibach springs come in under £200 and will drop the car 30mm or so, this alone will reduce body roll. Probably another £200 ish for some good dampers, and it would make sense to do them at the same time really while the suspension is in bits.
  4. chris1008

chris1008 Member

[Dec 1, 2012]
    Change the pair, Or if it's bearable until you can afford a proper set up if that's what your after I'd wait .

High milage and carrying heavy loads will have a big factor in the condition of the shocks. Have you checked if they are leaking ?
  5. tbs

tbs Member

[Dec 4, 2012]
    the car has done 92,000 and there is no leaking yet from the dampers. The ride and cornering is generally ok its just it has a tendency on a straight road to pitch up a bit too much on the undulating b roads. Ive seen the routine for changing the front shocks and I can see why spring changes would also help but I'm going to run this car standard height but as stiff as i can get it. I drive down some bad roads for dog walks so I'm happy with a higher chassis. I've experienced Bilsteins on a heavy camper van and they do provide a load more stability but they are just far too expensive which is why I'm keen to find something cheaper but of a good quality. How resistant to a bump test is a normal audi B6 ie how easy is it to push the nose down and watch it dip and rise?
  6. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

[Dec 4, 2012]
    Keep searching eBay quite often sport shocks and spring set up on there, good way to go to keep OEM looks and be a far cheaper option other than that I fitted brand new sport shocks and h&r springs looked mint drove sweet sometime a little to firm but loads better around the twists and stuff