1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 S3 wing mirror glass - replacement other than Audi

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by bpascua, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bpascua

bpascua Member

Hi All,

I managed to crack the glass in my wing mirror this morning on my 2002 S3. Audi want £32 for a replacement, before I do that is there somewhere I can buy a heated replacement mirror and blacking plate for less? I looked on ebay and they are mostly 96 - 2000 and I assume I have a facelift s3, the the mirrors are different?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian
  2. ptr

ptr Member

3. bpascua

bpascua Member

Cool - Are the A3 mirrors the same as the S3 mirrors?

thanks

Brian
  4. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

Im pretty sure Euro car parts do them as well, the tinted ones with the heating element and backing plate too.
  5. ptr

ptr Member

99% sure they are but double check with the seller.
  6. sportquattro

sportquattro Member

Got a pair of heated mirror glass's off ebay a year ago, fit fine and heat up still which the OE Audi ones had stopped doing, the pair cost £25 or so
  7. s3mad_dude

s3mad_dude Noggies ruuuule!

I have a driver's side official mirror glass for S3 from Audi which I never opened or fitted. I thought the heater element had gone but it hadn't so it's been in my drawer for that last three months.

If it's the same side that you need, I can do you a decent price. I paid about £30 for it so say: £19 delivered..? If interested, PM me and we'll sort something out. I can send you a photo too if required. It also has the wide angle thingy built into it.

PS - Pre facelift and post facelift mirrors are different. The mirror I bought is also for a 2002 vehicle.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  8. ptr

ptr Member

I bought one from eBay, arrived today and just tried to fit it. The metal clips for the heated mirror are different, they just fall off and the black ring that you mount it on has clips in different places so it won't even clip in.

I'm pretty sure they sent me the wrong one, same seller as I linked above.
  9. fpscod

fpscod New Member

I bought a driver side mirror that looks exactly like the one in the link. Didn't fit right at all, the side that would be nearest the window was the wrong shape, so it didn't fit in the wing mirror housing and looked stupid wedged in. Had to go to Audi, cost me £47! wish i could of got it for £32 :(
  10. bpascua

bpascua Member

Hello All,

Quick update, I did order the mirror glass in the link below from ebay. Initially they sent me the drivers side but then they got it right and sent me the passenger side which I was after. The mirror is exactly the same the size and shape as the old one. They also ship a smaller plastic backing plate that clips to your mirror motor. This was OK too but when you try and stick the mirror to the backing plate with the mirror in situ the heater mirror connections are in the way!

its an easy fix to just get a stanley knife and cut a little chunk out of the backing plate(maybe 1cm x 1 cm), took less than 30 seconds. Once this was done then fitting was as normal - clip the backing plate to the motor (inside the door mirror housing ) then connect the two heated connectors to the mirror and stick the mirror on with the already fitted sticky pads. Mirror was the blue tint same as my proper audi one, overall I am pleased as the audi one was £32.

cheers for the advice

Brian
    -

AUDI A3 A4 A6 A8 99-03 DOOR WING MIRROR GLASS FACELIFT on eBay (end time 05-Feb-11 00:23:04 GMT)
  11. bpascua

bpascua Member

hi, as per my message below, just cut a little chunk out of the plastic backing plate they supply and then the mirror will fit fine assuming you have the correct one. They do quote dimensions in their advert.