2002 S3 - rear suspension camber and toe settings

hatchs3

Reaction score
Hi , does anybody happen to know waht the original factory settings were for rear camber and toe. My S3 is now chewing rear tyres , had the camber and toe checked out - both look quite bad. But I nothign to compare the values against any help greatly appreciated.
thanks HatchS3

PS am looking to re-bush all the rear suspension anyway - so this info is useful for comparison .

Have you lowered the car at all? lowering will increase rear camber quite a bit... std camber is around -1.5 degrees iirc and toe is 0...

If you have lowered the car then you won't be able to get a std cambe back unless you fit adjustable tie bars

<tuffty/>

Hi guys,
No it is completely std set up as per original factory - or hopefully it will be when it has been re-bushed !! so all I was after were any original factory setting data for comparison to where it is currently both sides are about 3 deg camber and about 0.75 toe - -- you can see why my tyres are not lasting too long !!! cheers
any othe replies most welcome

:yes:

Hi guys,
No it is completely std set up as per original factory - or hopefully it will be when it has been re-bushed !! so all I was after were any original factory setting data for comparison to where it is currently both sides are about 3 deg camber and about 0.75 toe - -- you can see why my tyres are not lasting too long !!! cheers
any othe replies most welcome

:yes:

If you have 3deg neg camber on the rear then bushes aren't going to help... you either have broken springs or someone has fitted lowered springs as std camber is -1 to -1.5 deg...

If after you change the bushes you still have loads of neg camber on the rear (which I suspect you probably will) then other than going back to the std ride height you will need adjustable tie bars to get it back..

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
i was in the same boat as you.
std car, 3 degrees camber, nearly 0 toe luckily.
i bushed it, lowered it, and adjustable tie bars and then had it aligned.
i now have acceptable camber, 1 degree, but my toe is 0.85, and i've gone through 3 sets of tyres in a year.
the saga continues...

my advise would be to do what you want to the car, be it lowering, bushing, whatever, adjustable tie bars are highly advised though. and THEN get it set up by someone with a good reputation. make sure they know what they are doing and are maticulous with the setuo they want to acheive.

If you have 3deg neg camber on the rear then bushes aren't going to help... you either have broken springs or someone has fitted lowered springs as std camber is -1 to -1.5 deg...

If after you change the bushes you still have loads of neg camber on the rear (which I suspect you probably will) then other than going back to the std ride height you will need adjustable tie bars to get it back..

<tuffty/>

Tuffty - hi. My car is completely original spec - I know because I bought it 'spanking new', I've done all the miles 184000 of em. had various bills but only for wear and tear and running gear replacements. Did do some new dampers 2yrs ago - Koni FSD's all round. About 9months ago rear tyres started to wear rapidly - camber angle was very noticeable - so eventually had it checked.

That is why I am hopeful that a std setup of bushes should return it to about 1deg camber and reduce the toe as well . Am going to try my local garage in Shaftesbury for replacement etc - unless anybody has some reccomendations for local to shaftesbury / salisbury?

thanks

HatchS3