2002 S3: Can this be a slipping clutch?

speedicar225

Phlat6
Reaction score
Website
www.jrs.uk.com
Hi,

In all driving conditions, the clutch is fine.

However, on a recent motorway journey, incline ahead and I am pressing on in fifth gear, when the revs start to rise with no apparent increase in speed. No redlining involved, just a gentle rise until, in suprise, I slow down to ponder and wonder what's going on. Feet no where near the clutch pedal.

Try to replicate the condition and cannot.

What's this all about? My brain says it cannot be the clutch, so is it the Haldex?

Any one know what this is all about?

Thanks again.

only reason for revs to rise and the speed not to is a slipping clutch i'm afraid... haldex only controls power to the rear wheels so it's nothing to do with that

Thanks for that.

Any ideas why it is occasional? Semi verticall hillstarts etc are not a problem, cause I tried it after the "occurence".

Would like to understand the problem, before shelling out on a clutch replacement!

Thanks.

it definently sounds like clutch slip, it will eventually slip on hillsarts etc but its slipping under more strenuios conditions at the mo you have more torque at mid range revs in 5th gear then you would on a hill start thus slipping in these conditions

mine did this twice a couple of years ago and has been fine since, I put mine down to slippery conditions. Tried allsorts to replicate it but its been fine since. touch wood

Thanks for the input and correct daignosis.

I just could not understand how a clutch could be finished at 47k miles.

Gearbox out and culprit was the gearbox oilseal- oil over the clutch and a replacement is being fitted. That's not too bad, but also:

Dual mass flywheel has excessive play and needs replacement.

Easy/easier access to the turbocharger allows a check and a hunt for "chirping" noises, (See recent thread on Boost Diagram). The turbocharger has excessive radial play in the impeller shaft, but no endpay - so replacement with a new (not remanufactured) K04 has also needs to be financed.

At current retail values, just goes to show how close these cars can come to "Beyond Economic Repair", particularly if labour rates are £120+ per hour and you are paying OE prices for parts!

I hope to have change from £1500. Main dealer costs nearer £3500. Car retail value £5k?

Happy days.

:sadlike:well my clutch has just started 'slipping' today, and I hope the anticipated 500 quid bill won't turn out to be one like that!

Hi guysjust an idea. my clutch was slipping quite bad few weeks back. i had a clutch switch problem now changed and good. but also i thought my slave had gone and it turned out to be the pressure control valve that had a really bad leak and i think this was the main cause of my clutch slipping. i know its a long shot but worth a look. hope this helps

I too have this issue. Only in 5th or 6th on boost (max torque). It happened about a month or so ago then went away, now last weekend it happened alot on the M6 heading home (annoying!). Its remapped and was spotted at the time of remap but seemed to clear.
Clutch switch definately needs replacing as i have the rev rise issue between gears but i'm assuming clutch too. 76k miles and remap!

Whats cheapest prices for clutch and flywheel?

I too have this issue. Only in 5th or 6th on boost (max torque). It happened about a month or so ago then went away, now last weekend it happened alot on the M6 heading home (annoying!). Its remapped and was spotted at the time of remap but seemed to clear.
Clutch switch definately needs replacing as i have the rev rise issue between gears but i'm assuming clutch too. 76k miles and remap!

Whats cheapest prices for clutch and flywheel?

Sounds like the dual mass flywheel fault, the same as i have mate. See Waktt's site it has info on this fault

http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/warranty/6dmflywheel/Dualmassflywheel.htm

Im gonna be changing mine on the upcoming bank holiday.

you all need a nice new single mass flywheel and uprated SouthBend clutch.....

PM me for quotes and great discounts from Web prices.
They are the high power 1.8t clutch of choice

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/home.html

ofe_street.gif